Searching for 22LR Bolt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With my American I just leave the empty mag in the gun, lay a short on it and close the bolt. No problem shooting shorts at all. I use cb shorts in the yard because they are nothing but pft for noise.

Interesting to see a Mossberg 44 recommended since most probably have not experienced the vintage 22 rifles. Sure they were wood stocked, open sights, peep sight, had blued or case hardened metal and most fired 22 s,l or long rifle. Also Remington, Winchester, Marlin, Savage, Stevens, H&R, Browning, High Standard and Mossberg as well as others made 22 rifles that would meet your criteria except for synthetic stock. I am a fan of old steel and wood and you can find these rifles in local gun shops, some shows and by word of mouth. Hope you find an accurate 22 that meets your needs.
I have a marlin bolt from the 70's that is a tack driver model 20 I think it's a killing machine for me since I was about 12years old my gramps gave me the gun to kill pigions off of the corn cylos back in the day. Man that was fun

Interesting to see a Mossberg 44 recommended since most probably have not experienced the vintage 22 rifles. Sure they were wood stocked, open sights, peep sight, had blued or case hardened metal and most fired 22 s,l or long rifle. Also Remington, Winchester, Marlin, Savage, Stevens, H&R, Browning, High Standard and Mossberg as well as others made 22 rifles that would meet your criteria except for synthetic stock. I am a fan of old steel and wood and you can find these rifles in local gun shops, some shows and by word of mouth. Hope you find an accurate 22 that meets your needs.

I mentioned the old Mossys because they are accurate, well within budget even for a pristine one, they have great irons, are cheap/easy to scope (Havlins mount) and with the pin screw the magazines feed shorts just fine

You cant get a modern rifle like that for under $1k

We love our older very accurate CZ 452 and 455. The new model is the CZ 457. I have a 455 with a very long barrel with open sights that’s very accurate. The 452 I have a scope mounted on it. Tack drivers.

For .22 shorts you likely have to go with a single shot rifle. There are many on the used market but I think that the inexpensive Cricket is the only one left that is new anymore. But that seems setup for kids though with a shorter pull on the stock. I remember shooting the pump gallery guns at arcades ages ago when I was a kid. Sometimes those turn up for sale but they are well used. My favorite single shot is a BSA Martini action rifle. That thing is just crazy accurate.
Any .22 with a tubular magazine should work besides the 22wmr

I have a CZ455 17HMR. It's a great rifle. The trigger was awful. I put a timney trigger in it and it's a great rifle.
I got a Bergara BMR 22lr and put a vortex Diamondback tactical 6-24x50 FFP scope on it. That trigger is 2.5 pounds as light as it will go.
I have to be honest. The Bergara impresses me. I shot a bunch of chucks this year out to 200 yards with that 22lr and CCI Standard velocity target.
I put my suppressor on it, and it is quieter than my air rifle. The groups are 50 yard.

Attachments

• 20230507_170747.jpg
    20230507_170747.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220206_122818.jpg
    20220206_122818.jpg
    712.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220127_092452.jpg
    20220127_092452.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220125_101532.jpg
    20220125_101532.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 0
I have a CZ455 17HMR. It's a great rifle. The trigger was awful. I put a timney trigger in it and it's a great rifle.
I got a Bergara BMR 22lr and put a vortex Diamondback tactical 6-24x50 FFP scope on it. That trigger is 2.5 pounds as light as it will go.
I have to be honest. The Bergara impresses me. I shot a bunch of chucks this year out to 200 yards with that 22lr and CCI Standard velocity target.
I put my suppressor on it, and it is quieter than my air rifle. The groups are 50 yard.
I love it!
Here's what the Tikka does when I do what I'm supposed to.KIMG0463.JPGKIMG0465.JPG

I know you stated bolt action, but if it's for hunting/ plinking I think you would like a Marlin model 39 lever action,thr one I use the most is from the 50's time period, it handles shorts with no problem,has taken many a squirrel. I have found it to be just as accurate as my 77-22. Both are set up with scopes.

I would check the LGS's in your neck of the woods and look for something used. .22's don't bring big money unless they are very special.

Two of my favorites. Both will handle shorts, longs and long rifles.

Remington model 34.
Remington fieldmaster 011.jpg007.jpg

I made my decision. Im going with a CZ 457 model 2313. My best bet is to pick up one up at the Sportmans warehouse in Troy or Travesre City, MI

Thank you all for you input.
excellent choice
Oh, and a suppressor you say. Any advice here????
buy once cry once and wait once. due to tax stamps and transfer times the used can market doesnt exist

can choice comes down to construction - materials used and monocore vs cups

Material will affect how you can clean it, basically elbow grease (aluminum) vs chemical bath in a us cleaner (stainless or titanium)

consider a centerfire rated can - heavier but allows more use...

In 1969 I both a pair of Savage-Anshutz 22 rifles, one long rifle the other 22 mag. The model number has slipped my mind but I think they were a model 54. Expensive. I bought them at a store that was closing them out. Both got full sized Weaver 6 power scopes, the .22 mag scope had a dot crosshair. Those two guns were by far the most accurate 22's I have even seen and on a calm day at 100 it was nothing to see ten shots go under a dime. Consistently, both guns. I owned the guns until late in the 70's and sold them to an Anshutz collector for a very tidy sum, about three times what I had in them. I still rue the day I sold them but back then money spoke louder than my desire to keep them. Stupid, young, thinking.

Good for you. You couldn't go wrong with the CZ or the Bergara.
And you can likely shoot shorts out of it. Also CCI makes what the call the Quiet 22. We've been getting plagued with pigeons and I've been popping the off my roof and the neighbors don't know it.
I hate to waste them but they make a mess all over my roof. I just toss them in the trash. Anyone ever ate pigeons?

Back