Searching for 22LR Bolt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Marlin 880SQ that I've had for years. I bought it when i had squirrel dogs. It has killed it fair share of squirrels and other pests. That gun and me has had some great hunts!!!!

I have a 457 American 22 lr . The only thing I have done to it is change the trigger spring. It will shoot bug holes at 25 yds and dime size groups at 50 yds with CCI hollow pts.

First thing I would do before you go messing with accurizing it is to get a bunch of different brands of ammo. Its amazing how much difference a 22LR will shoot from one brand to the next. Also when switching it takes 10-15 shots of a particular brand before the rifle settles in for that brand. I have 22s that shoot el cheapo Winchester Wildcat ammo the best and one that shoots CCI MiniMag Std velocity and two others that shoot CCI Varmint and SK Std Plus the best. I don't recall any 22 that I owned that shot Remington ammo well!
You may be pleasantly surprised on how the rifle will shoot just as is.

I have many different ammo choices on my shelf. CCI hollow points and standard velocity seem to do well in many of the videos I watch. I have a list of others I intend to try if those are not satisfactory.

Lapua, SK, Eley, Norma, RWS, Wolf match.... There's tons of better ammo out there if need be. Then you just find the one it likes, get a rim thickness gauge, find the rim thickness it likes... baddabing baddaboom!
I have many different ammo choices on my shelf. CCI hollow points and standard velocity seem to do well in many of the videos I watch. I have a list of others I intend to try if those are not satisfactory.

First thing I would do before you go messing with accurizing it is to get a bunch of different brands of ammo. Its amazing how much difference a 22LR will shoot from one brand to the next. Also when switching it takes 10-15 shots of a particular brand before the rifle settles in for that brand. I have 22s that shoot el cheapo Winchester Wildcat ammo the best and one that shoots CCI MiniMag Std velocity and two others that shoot CCI Varmint and SK Std Plus the best. I don't recall any 22 that I owned that shot Remington ammo well!
You may be pleasantly surprised on how the rifle will shoot just as is.
You are right about ammo! When I was a youngster I shot small bore and when the competition levels increased so did ammo costs. I still kept a couple of good rifles and fed them well until the .22 ammo ' crisis' when I got a good buy on a case of extra high vel for practice in my Sporter and gopher guns. I put some in my free rifle that had only ever used sub sonic. It shot better than tenx!
Ammo can change batch to batch. If you find one that works well BUY, BUY,BUY! It is cheaper than good alterations too.

Since buying my American .22 I have accumulated 16 different brands and powers of lr ammo. I haven't shot any that I couldn't settle for if I was into settling for ho-hum accuracy but there are definitely a few that shoot lights out. The best 10 shot group thus far came with Federal Gold Target rounds, 3/8" X 7/16" @ 50 yards. Calm morning and cool. The common CCI Mini Mag solid shoots a 10 shot 50 yard group only slightly larger at 3/8" X 1/2". Inside the realm of these 16 long rifle rounds, 50 yard, 10 shot groups are golf ball to the smaller one mentioned. A Winchester standard velocity target round is another tight shooter and between it and the Federal Gold round I shoot them the most. I'll run down to the club early so no one else is there to bother me and can shoot a couple hundred rounds at paper with the .22 just practicing the trigger squeeze and other little things that keep us in tune to what we love doing. I always bring the Optima pistol when I hit the club and when the rifle gets cased, it comes out for a ten shot series.

I shoot the CCI's for small game, a bit faster than the target fodder. I shoot CCI CB shorts for pest control in the yard if shots are inside 20 yards. If I have to stretch to about 40 yards I use the CCI Quiet round. Both are substantially quieter than the .22 air rifle and a bunch quieter than the .177 pop gun and both rounds are sufficiently accurate at those distances for pests.

I do have quiet rounds also. In 50 years of gathering guns and ammo I have almost some of everything.
Shorts, longs, CB, Good to know. Thank you :D

When I load the CB shorts I just lay the catridge on the top of the magazine and slip it in the chamber. No fussing, it slides right in. I had a Marlin bolt that was a definite pain in the rear to shoot as a single shot with any size of shell.

I'm really happy with the Ruger American. It has the feel of a full sized rifle and the trigger is immaculate at about 2-1/2 pounds. It would be hard to not enjoy shooting it. I'm sure a CZ is about the same.

I tried rimfire central several times. No success in joining.
They lost me. If its too hard I move on.
Thanks for trying though.
You can always use Utube if you need some guidance on trigger work, or other needs.

You tube is my instructional guide for most things unknown to me. (thats quite a bit)

Its likely I will do some trigger work and do the head spacing thing once I have gone through a number of 22lr types. I dont see anyone doing any kind of a Lee Shaver treatment so Ill pass on that for now. The torque of the lug screw seems to be a possible way to improve groups so Ill need a torque screw driver. The gun will not recoil much so I am going to go light on the torque for the scope rings. Maybe a little clear nail polish to make sure the scope doesn't move.

When trying different ammo should I clean between types??????

You tube is my instructional guide for most things unknown to me. (thats quite a bit)

Its likely I will do some trigger work and do the head spacing thing once I have gone through a number of 22lr types. I dont see anyone doing any kind of a Lee Shaver treatment so Ill pass on that for now. The torque of the lug screw seems to be a possible way to improve groups so Ill need a torque screw driver. The gun will not recoil much so I am going to go light on the torque for the scope rings. Maybe a little clear nail polish to make sure the scope doesn't move.

When trying different ammo should I clean between types??????
You could, then burn a half dozen fouling shots of the ammo you intend to test. But if you're not gonna measure rim thickness, it's only gonna be so accurate. If you're not measuring, I say don't bother.

Have the Leupold rings coming as well as a few quality ammo choices.

As far as the torque wrench, seems I read a lot of complaints about plus or minus 2 inches or worse. So I came up with my own idea.
Ill use degrees or turn or hands on the clock. It will take a few times but I think I will be able to loosen and tighten the screws to experiment with accuracy and also return the screw to the same point once I have removed it. Think it will do better than plus or minus two pounds.

IMG_3526.JPG

Back