Seasoning an inline muzzleloader?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just helped a buddy sight in his new CVA Optima a couple weeks back, i use Butches Bore Shine with a patch cor a couple then put some on my wire brush and scrub the barrel. Then patch till dry. We then fired the gun twice and patched it again with BBS then brushed it again to remove the crud ring then dried the barrel and shot it again 2 more times. We repeated these steps until we got the gun sighted in (took 8 shots) the great thing was after doing this the crud ring became less and less and the follow up shot became easier to load. After the last shot we cleaned the barrel with the same steps then ran a few wet patches down the barrel with gun oil so he is ready for opening day this Saturday.

he is only using tripple 7 pellets for this season as we couldn’t find him any BH 209 locally but were able to get the pellets, lucky for him I still had Winchester primers for the pellets lol

A couple years ago a local competition shooter turned me on to the BBS and I have been using it ever since and I am happy with how my rifles perform.

Good luck OP and to all this hunting season!

I wouldn't be too concerned about the comments made the way you're doing things. During the 90s, I shot with wonder lube, cleaned the rifle with it, and I was shooting pyrodex. The rifle is still just fine, fact is I shot it not too long ago. It's a left-handed percussion TC. I'm kind of careful about telling anybody how I clean my rifles now, what I'm doing works, the lube I use, after many years of experimentation, works just fine, but is not the same between the rifles I have. One seems to be a little superior over all I've tried, but I don't broadcast what it is. If what you're doing works for you, just keep it up. I purchased a 45 percussion this fall that had been left dirty from black powder since about 1975. I got it cleaned up, and by golly it will shoot an inch and a half group at 50 yards and I'm sure it would do better if I experimented with the powder, but I'm not trying to drive tacks or shoot the head off of matches, I was trying to kill an antelope but I didn't get it done this year. I've been a next year Hunter for a long long time.
Squint

I like Lawry's and Montreal Steak by Grill Mates for seasoning..............just kidding of course. Shoot the gun and clean it after words. Some guns won't shoot great from the getgo. Keep shooting and trying different loads. They almost always get better.

I Know this thread is evolving but I just want to share this. Back in the 80's when the UP still had deer, two hunting buddies who both owned .50 TC Renegades decided that soap and water wasn't the only way to clean their barrels after ML season. One used WD40 and put his gun away, the other used Hoppes bore solvent (not the BP solvent). The following Fall they were shocked when they pulled those guns out of their bsmts. and both barrels were rusted up. They were using Pyrodex RS and should've used a water based cleaner first, followed by gun oil just as you would with real BP. Both were stored in unfinished basements which I don't recommend at least here in Mi. unless you run a dehumidifier full time. As a side note Hoppes does make an excellent BP gun cleaner but I believe it has water to dissolve the left over salts. Always use the right products for the job.

You only need to season your front stuffer if you only plan to shoot lead..50 lead balls with bore butter and good patches will do the trick..

You never need to season a barrel because it will never happen. You will never reach high enough temps long enough to season anything in a barrel. All you are doing with Bore Bummer is leaving trace amounts of a lube that is hard to remove.

I'm not at all concerned I would say this to all when you clean your front stuffer like normal take some wonder lube and run A few patches of it down the bore you'd be surprised you may get fouling on the patch then after patches show no sign of dirt or fouling run patch with some oil down the bore my barrels are pristine and shoot like no tomorrow and to each his own !

You never need to season a barrel because it will never happen. You will never reach high enough temps long enough to season anything in a barrel. All you are doing with Bore Bummer is leaving trace amounts of a lube that is hard to remove.
I've never had any hard to remove anything just run dry patch followed by a couple primers good to go !

Simply put, if a person involved in shooting muzzleloading rifles (or pistols) thinks that any product, regardless of whether the product has natural, or synthetic ingredients in its composition, is going to penetrate the crystalline structure of a modern gun barrel's steel; they are sadly mistaken.

If you truly believe that Bore Butter, or any other product, is going to penetrate the steel, and fill the pores, as with cast iron, then you just don't understand science.

With the sole exception of spit/saliva, all lubricants, especially those that contain any form of fat, have the potential to create a build-up in the the bore. This is most true down in the grooves.

Anyone using Bore Butter as a rust preventative risks such a build-up. Those shooters that have used Bore Butter for extended periods of time, without the barrel's accuracy falling off; can attribute their success to a good cleaning regimen, not the fact that Bore Butter is a superior lubricant.

As several posters have tried to point out, Bore Butter was introduced to the muzzleloading market, not as an improvement upon already existing muzzleloading lubes, but strictly as a marketing ploy/strategy to sell unsuspecting shooters new to muzzleloading something that they did not need in order to shoot successfully.

Because of its formula,
Bore Butter is one of the commercial muzzleloading lubes most prone to build-up in a rifled bore.

Many thousands of frustrated shooters have discovered that their rifle's poor accuracy was attributed to a build-up of lubricant (caramelized fats) in the barrel that ordinary methods of cleaning with cool water simply will not dissolve.

Last edited:
I'm not at all concerned I would say this to all when you clean your front stuffer like normal take some wonder lube and run A few patches of it down the bore you'd be surprised you may get fouling on the patch then after patches show no sign of dirt or fouling run patch with some oil down the bore my barrels are pristine and shoot like no tomorrow and to each his own !
not fouling but flash rust , happens every time you use hot water and I suspect if you see flash rust after cleaning and before oiling you absolutely are using hot water. Hot water is another unicorn story /Ed

I don't use bore butter for seasoning anything I just use it as a cleaner and rust preventative along with some oil.

not fouling but flash rust , happens every time you use hot water and I suspect if you see flash rust after cleaning and before oiling you absolutely are using hot water. Hot water is another unicorn story /Ed
I don't use hot water plain any way I use my home made moose juice which has water soluble cutting oil in it for cleaning and cleaning during shooting sessions

Want to make a correction on this thread I thought we were referring to a traditional smokepole not a inline sorry for the confusion!

Want to make a correction on this thread I thought we were referring to a traditional smokepole not a inline sorry for the confusion!
I had used bore butter for patching round balls for many years without bad results, but accuracy was only so-so, now, after experimenting with many different combinations, some I made myself some I bought, I've switch to something else that seems to work better. My shooting friend who is kind of crippled was getting rather poor results with his newly purchased used 45 percussion. I don't have no idea what he was using for patch lube, and after discussing with him about weighing the balls he had purchased to eliminate any that were too lite, things still were not as good as they should have been. I had some old bore butter lubed patches in a snuse can. probably been there for five years, as I only use them like you, during cleaning as it seemed to bring up a little more gunk. I gave him some to try just to see if it would change the group. Don't you know he went from 4 or 5 inch group, with an occasional flyer, down to about a 2 inch group, all at 50 yards. I was quite impressed, I think the gun is a traditions, I know it's just got open sights and he's 10 years younger than I am, but I think his eyesight is failing too, is just that he was in Vietnam at a bad time. Might not work for some, but it sure worked for him.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back