Seeking suggestions for a wood-stocked inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northwoods65

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm pretty new here and would really appreciate a bit of advice.

For years, I've been shooting a T/C Hawken caplock and I would like to get a .50 cal inline. Most of the features I'm looking for seem pretty standard:
  • Easy to clean (removable breech)
  • Easy to mount a scope
  • 209 primer
  • Accurate enough for deer out to 100 yards
  • Overall reliability and quality
I'd also like a crisp, adjustable trigger (or be able to swap in a good replacement).

Trouble is I just can't make myself love composites and plastic. Any suggestions for an inline with a solid wood or laminate stock?

Here are a few ideas I've come up with so far:
  • Look for an older one in good condition (not sure which models yet)
  • Get a recent model (like the discontinued T/C Strike) or current model (like a Knight Mountaineer, though the price tags are a bit high)
  • Get one with a composite stock and swap for a wood replacement stock from somewhere like Boyd's
  • Build one from a kit or parts (I'm sure I don't have all the tools or skills, but...)
Thanks very much for any guidance or other ideas you can offer. Specific model/set-up suggestions are welcome!

This isn’t so much a recommendation as it is a suggestion of a couple to maybe look at. I’m not sure if these meet all your specs, but I think they’re close.
I’ve always thought the Austin & Halleck rifle with a high grade stock was about the nicest looking inline ever made. I don’t know the model.
The T/C Black Diamond in stainless with a wood stock might be worth a look in either .45 or .50.
The T/C Omega was available in a laminate stock, if that’s acceptable, that’s worth considering. The Omega would allow you the option to use BH209.

Knight MK-85 with a walnut stock is still high on my want list. Very nice looking rifle in my opinion.

A used TC Omega is not hard to find and a plastic stock can be replaced with a walnut or laminated stock from Boyds. A Ruger model 77/50 can be found with original hardwood stock or a factory replacement laminated available from Numrich Arms. I've done both two different times and agree with you about the plastic stocks.

Knight Disc Extreme is a handsome rifle. I like the Walnut and Blue look myself. Plenty of Stainless and laminated out there. It hits all of your wishes accept being very easy to clean. It’s a MZ and the work comes with the sport.

An Omega with a Boyd’s t-hole would be a darn fine rifle as well.

T/C Firehawk or Black Diamond in Walnut
Walnut stocked Knight MK-85 ,sorry about the Hillbilly cheekrest:)
or T/C Thunderhawks are nice also.
Forgot one Omega X7 cinnamon laminate stock somehow ended up top picture should be last

20191218_111956.jpg

20191218_110822.jpg 20191218_110832.jpg 20191203_102614.jpg

Last edited:
As you're used to cleaning sidelocks a fixed breech plug model ( TC Thunderhawk/ Firehawk) is a great option. My experience is that removable plugs are a solution in search of a problem
209 primers. Unless you're shooting BH 209, they're a bit of a waste. #11' s or musket caps will serve you well in striker fired models. I recommend that type as they're legal everywhere.
I have a wood stocked .50 caliber Firehawk with an aperture sight. She's one of the most accurate rifles I've owned and my most accurate muzzleloader by a wide margin. The 1-38 is a superb twist and does very well with 45 caliber bullets up to 300 grains. You can scope them too. Triggers are adjustable and maintenance is silly simple. Good looking, light, accurate, boringly reliable and handles like a dream. Mine is the ABSOLUTELY last rifle I would part with.
However. If you want to use BH209 and/ or 209 primers, the TC Omega is the pinnacle of modern muzzleloading rifles. TC made a HUGE mistake discontinuing that one...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back