Settling black powder charges

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks to me like I could get rid of the powder measure and the tapping. I could weigh the black powder charges on a scale and be done with it. I am getting a set of Lane's tubes in few days. The maximum black powder charge on my rifle is 100 grV. Would I dare to weight 100 grW and use it in my rifle? When I was doing the tapping test, I tested the 100 grV and some of the 10 taps weighted a little more than 100 grW.
Not a problem as there's folks that put that and more under a patched round ball , been there /done that ! Ed

Once you know what load your ML likes with the bullet you are using this is what I do at home so I don’t waste the Black Gold. :D

I get some bowl and pour the powder into my powder measure that is over the bowl. Tap it as many times you feel is necessary, fill it if it goes below the top, tap a couple more times. Then scrape the excess off and weigh it. Repeat several times to get the average weight. Now you know how to set your powder scale. Then pour the powder that’s in the bowl back into the container.

FWIU ......... a few grains more or less will have very little effect on accuracy under 150-200 yards . but folks who do the long range shooting can see a difference and the farther they shoot the bigger the difference . once again thats FWIU ......

i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong on that . but it is good if we're using loose powder to experiment with different weights to see what gives the best accuracy with individual barrel , bullet and sabot combinations to see what they they play the nicest with .

I have been working with the black powder this morning. I tested 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100 grV. I tapped until the powder did settle anymore and then weighed the charge. All the charges was close to and many case exceeded the powder measure setting. It seams to me not to spend time measuring and tapping, but to just weigh the charges and put them in the tubes. My Lane's tube are expected on Tuesday. Does anyone see anything unsafe about just weighing the charges?

Most competitive shooters weigh their powder charges.
You just need to be careful as to how you're weighing.
Some containers or trays are more prone to static electricity.
I sure someone else will know which are better.

My scale is made by Lyman Ohaus M-5. It has a non sparking metal pan. I have had this scale since 1968 and I have not noticed the powder wanting to stick together or the pan. Is there any test for this?

I have the same scale, no problems weighing anything. When you receive the lanes tubes, take a dryer sheet and wipe the insides of the tubes to eliminate any static. You should be good to go.

Thank you very much. I enjoyed the video. I have been testing various ways of dipping powder and tapping. I made test measures at different powder volumes of the same powder. I could tap and come up with a weight that exceeded the volume setting. This is why I was asking so many questions and I hope I did not make anyone mad. I am just trying to learn.
When I ask about the RCBS powder trickler, mine is old. I know it is non magnetic and possibly aluminum. I did not want an accident from sparking. I interested about the Hornady trickler being plastic, if it would create a static charge.
I can see all the points the man in the video made. I am going to use the Law of Diminishing Returns which the man was referring to. I will fire 5 shots using 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100 grV. I have an Oehler 35P chronograph which I will measure the velocity. This will be an interesting test to run at the range to see the various velocities.

Thank you very much. I enjoyed the video. I have been testing various ways of dipping powder and tapping. I made test measures at different powder volumes of the same powder. I could tap and come up with a weight that exceeded the volume setting. This is why I was asking so many questions and I hope I did not make anyone mad. I am just trying to learn.
When I ask about the RCBS powder trickler, mine is old. I know it is non magnetic and possibly aluminum. I did not want an accident from sparking. I interested about the Hornady trickler being plastic, if it would create a static charge.
I can see all the points the man in the video made. I am going to use the Law of Diminishing Returns which the man was referring to. I will fire 5 shots using 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100 grV. I have an Oehler 35P chronograph which I will measure the velocity. This will be an interesting test to run at the range to see the various velocities.
I’ve never heard of or seen evidence of blackpowder being ignited by static electricity. I’ve only been doing this for 60 years though… I have been throwing charges with RCBS and Lyman measures for years without trouble.

I agree. I worked for 46 years at Boeing on fighter jets. The first thing we do to a jet when it is positioned is attach a wire from the jet to earth ground. Jets will catch on fire from static electricity. If munitions are on board, things can get real messy. I have seen warnings about static electricity before. I watch the sparking metals too. Thank you for your reply.

Back