Shelf Life of Propellents?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. Fascinating forum. I have some unopened Pyrodex and Triple 7, both granular and pelletized, sitting "on the shelf" for three years. Inside the house and cool and dry environment. Still good? Thank you. Kim

I bought 5 pounds of 777 3 years ago used one up. Have one in my Muzzle Loader box opened haven't shot my rifles in a couple years Preparing to go shooting loaded some of the open container and it seems fine I will LYK Lou

I'm interested in this topic as well.

I've received from an estate sale some containers of Black powder, Green Dot, Hi-Skor 700X & 800-X. Unknown how long they've been stored.

I know that Black Powder loses potency over time but will ignite if kept dry. Am I correct about Black powder?

I'm not sure of the other powders.

Thanks.

I'm interested in this topic as well.

I've received from an estate sale some containers of Black powder, Green Dot, Hi-Skor 700X & 800-X. Unknown how long they've been stored.

I know that Black Powder loses potency over time but will ignite if kept dry. Am I correct about Black powder?

I'm not sure of the other powders.

Thanks.
Real black powder will not lose potency over time if kept dry.

I have some very old black powder, over 20 years and it still shoots fine. I also have had pyrodex pellets that have still shot fine after at least 10 years, although I have heard people say to replace them after a couple of years.

OK. I thought Black Powder had a long shelve life. The potency issue was with pyrotechnic fuses that I use for firework shows. In their case, the black powder infused "quick match" would degrade over time. No doubt due to probable moisture seeping in through the matches casing.

What about modern "smokeless" powders?

Thanks.

Smokless will give off an ammonia smell if bad, normally caused by moisture or sweating. I have smokless powders at least 40 years old that are fine. Black will usually clump but can be dried out and used.

Latest posts

Back