shelf life of T/7

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gobbler getter

Reaction score
this probable has been asked a dozen times. but what is the shelf life of this powder reason i am asking is my wal-mart has it on sale for $10 a pound. i bought 2 but it will go down again and i will buy more if it will keep. also had pyrodex select for $6 a pound only had one of them left

Exactly, I can't say but a long time if it's in it's original sealed container and stored in a cool dry place.

I have kept it as long as four years. As long as the jug is not opened and it is stored in a cool dry place, you should be fine. When my Wal Mart puts the stuff on sale, they never get that low in price, but I normally buy them out anyway.

I know it has been written often that opened cans of Pyrodex will loose velocity if stored more than a few months. What effects have you seen with a 777 Can that was opened, but was stored properly? I keep my opened cans in a Dry-Box with the foam seal still intact.

WalMart's end of season clearance is great. I bought about $130.00 worth of stuff for $50.00. That was all B.P. stuff before I even bought my gun. A lot of the items they sell at TC brand packaged under a different name. It has the TC logo on it. I just wish I had bought more cleaning stuff then I did. It's all gone off the shelf now.

What about pyrodex pellets? I've got my original pellets from about 7 years ago. They light every time but am I losing or missing something? Thanks

Buy it and vaccum pack it... then store it in a cool, dry place...

That is what I would do..

I've got pellets that are at least 3 yrs old,shoot fine.keep them in a big ziplock bag at all times(range,home,etc) and keep them stored in my gun safe in the off season.No sunlight and the goldenrod keeps em dry.

You could also throw a few of those incadesant bags (I think that is what they are called) that come in everything to keep moisture out in a ziplock bag along with the powder container.

Doohan said:
Buy it and vaccum pack it... then store it in a cool, dry place...

That is what I would do..

great idea i can probable get the wife to seal it for me . she do like her vacume sealer :lol:

Latest posts

Back