Shimming scope bases

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
I need to double check something. I think that I remember that a shim on the rear scope base of .001 gives you 1 moa more of useful elevation in your scope and the .020 is considered max before risking damaging the tube. Does that sound right ?

Rifleman said:
I need to double check something. I think that I remember that a shim on the rear scope base of .001 gives you 1 moa more of useful elevation in your scope and the .020 is considered max before risking damaging the tube. Does that sound right ?

Why not fly first class and get 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30 MOA bases--?

After all, you are a first class.

Well thanks for the kudos but I need to know the answer if anyone can help out the ole Rifleman.

Hello Rifleman, I typed in "shimming base mounts" in yahoo search and came up a reply. It was listed in thefiringline.com forum. I can't vouch for it's accuracy!

.005"= 3.5 MOA
.010"= 7.0 MOA
.015= 10.5 MOA
.020= 14.0 MOA

MOA= 1.047" @ 100 yds.

http://www.kenfarrell.com/scan/st=d...e=Savage RTS Round Top/op=eq.html?id=qTuDMAjK

SAV-RTS-1-0.jpg

WHo said I need it for a Savage, if you don't know the answer Randy thats Ok we dont expect you to know everything.

Im not sure why you would want to risk it R-man. The Burris Signature Zee rings are very nice and have held the recoil of 62gr of N120 / 300 original very well. These rings will never scratch your scope either!

Can your application utilize weaver style rings?

http://www.burrisoptics.com/rings.html

Im not sure why you would want to risk it R-man. The Burris Signature Zee rings are very nice and have held the recoil of 62gr of N120 / 300 original very well. These rings will never scratch your scope either!

Yes, yes, yes. This is THE answer.

Rifleman said:
WHo said I need it for a Savage,

No one-- you didn't say, for whatever reason.

It might be one of these:

Scope Mount
Accuracy International
Browning
Budapest
CZ550
DGA
Enfield
Farrell G-Force
FN Mauser
Howa 1500
Knight Black Powder
Mauser 96
Mauser 98
Montana
Nesika
Remington 700 long
Remington 700 short
Remington 788
Remington Muzzle Loader
Remington XP100
Ruger IV
Ruger M77
Sako
Santa Barbara
Savage long 110 111 112 114 116
Savage Muzzle Loader
Savage new short
Savage Old Style
Savage RTL Round Top
Savage RTS Round Top
Springfield 1903 A3
Weatherby
Winchester 70 long
Winchester 70 short
Winchester 70 WSM
Winchester WSSM
Yugoslavian 48

Or, not.

OK OK OK I spent alot of money on my rings/bases and am too cheap to buy a new set! Guilty of an extreme display of vulgar poverty :lol: ! Now would someone please answer the original question?

YES! .02 would be max, but no-one will guarantee that you wont have damage at that much of an adjustment. Just think how poor you will be when you have to buy a new scope! :oops:

I have a set NIB right here.. want me to send them to you?

Rifleman said:
So what are the ZEE rings supposed to accomplish for me?

The Burris Signature Zee rings will give you:

Signature Rings also accept Pos-Align Offset Inserts so you can virtually sight-in your gun without moving the scope adjustments. Lens systems perform at their optimum when all lenses are optically centered. By keeping the internal optics centered, you'll see through the scope all of the clarity, sharpness, and brightness that the optics designers intended for you to see. The offset inserts also correct for any mis-alignment caused by receiver holes drilled off center, or the bases or rings being slightly off perfect center. And for you 1000 yard and other long range shooters, the need for expensive tapered bases or shimming becomes a hassle and expense of the past

With the correct ring insert...you can correct for elevation or windage without using the scopes adjustments!

Rifleman said:
Do you use them Chuck?

No I don't. BUT...I know several guys that DO! Some certain situations they work GREAT! Such as needing more elevation OR mis-aligned bases.

The reasons I DON'T use them:
1. The Zee rings are REALLY not marketed as "quick-release" rings although some use them as such.

2. WHEN I am using a fixed scope mount I don't use weaver-style mounts. I almost ALWAYS use either the Leupold STD mounts or for hard-recoiling rifles such as a .338 or .375 the Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts.
I just don't really like the looks of the "weaver-type" mounts on a nice rifle.

Rifleman said:
It depends on the distance between the two bases. Its just a ratio/proportion. For example, if the bases are 12" apart, then 0.001" on one base would amount to approx 0.3" at 100 yards. The formula is: (distance to target divided by distance between bases) times the shim size. If the the distance between the bases is 6", then the 0.001" shim would change point of impact at 100 yards by approx 0.6".

I think I got that all right?

If your shims have mount screw holes in them, make sure the holes are a little large for the screws. On round receivers the shims will conform to the receiver and the screw holes will "pinch" a little. Also, since the mount is being raised from the receiver, it might not be a "perfect" fit to the contour of the receiver. I suggest putting blue loctitie between the receiver and the shim pack and between the shim pack and the mount. The loctite will fill in the small gaps left by the unmatched contours.

Another issue with shimming is the angle through the rings. If shims are used on just one mount, the scope will not be pointing staight through the rings. One cure is to lap the rings after the shims are installed. Another is to use tapered shims on both mounts, but then there's an issue with mount screw hole angle.

(yup, I've been there and done that - used to do a little long range p-dog'n)

Take care, have fun....
Roger D. in Southern Indiana

p.s. The Burris rings with the offset inserts are great for doing this sort of work.

Try a .005" shim and see if it solves the problem. I've used these on a couple inlines to get enough elevation out of a 2-7x Leupold. Worked fine, simple, easy fix.

Rifleman said:
OK OK OK I spent alot of money on my rings/bases and am too cheap to buy a new set! Guilty of an extreme display of vulgar poverty :lol:

Of course, Rifleman, I am happy to get a pie off to you to help pull you through your many minutes of subsistence. :shock:

It is an unusual form of public poverty that drives on to buy a new Cadillac, big screen TV, Franchi, Benelli SBE, Pentax scopes, etc. I have great faith that you will indeed pull through in splendid fashion, however.

Just for the record the caddy was used when I got it and I traded it in on a chevy, the tv was a normal size, the franchi was traded in on the benelli, and a Leupold was sold to buy the pentax. Sheesh you put more spin on something then a 360 megawatt turbine. But of course you will have to take it up with my Mrs if you want a pie.

Latest posts

Back