Shockwave troubles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbargers

Reaction score
Has anybody noticed how thick the sabots that come with the 300gr are compaired to those that come with the 250gr. I put my calipers on a 300 with the sabot that comes with it and it measured at .507 No wonder these are so hard to load. Especially with the long bearing surface. I also measured the the same 300 in the sabot that comes with the 250gr and it measured in at .502 which is much more like it, and not to mention more ram rod friendly. What Gives? My omega loves the 300, but geeze it takes a hammer to load them (i.e Im not really using a hammer) Does anybody else notice the same or did i get some bad sabots with my 300's

Thanks, Jbargers

Get a pack of Harvester Crushed Rib sabots in .452 and they should help with your loading problems. Just switch the sabots out. Or some of the MMP HPH-24 should also work for you. Give that a try on the range.

Do you think that there will be any adverse affect on accuracy, switching to another sabot?

They will load easier with the crushed rib sabots, so there is a possibility that it might make an effect on the range. You would have to try that out and see. Or you can shoot a standard one first, and then shoot a second one on a dirty bore with the crushed rib as a back up. It looks like you have some range testing to do to really know the truth.

Also you could try some of the KNIGHT E-Z load sabots (orange) I found that In most all of my guns that theses worked very well !!!!!

I also shoot a 300gr boooolet XTP - SHOCKWAVE - GOLDDOT and this sabot works great .

Lungbuster1

I have the same loading problem with my new Omega. TC does not make the bullets or sabots, they just have them packaged with their name on them. The 250gr sample pack that came with my gun had the MMP HPH-24 sabots with them and they load fine. I have not tried the 300gr but they must be packaged with a standard size sabot.

I have found I can use the MMP HPH-24 on a clean barrel and then follow up with up to 3 more shots using the MMP 3 petal without cleaning between shots. I have not tried the Harvester Crush Ribs yet so I can't say on them.

Now I try to only look for bullets that are packaged with easy load sabots because if not then I just end up buying new sabots to use them. I have tried the Knight EZ load version with the Barnes TMZ bulets and they work good. I have not tried the TC easy load sabot yet so I don't know how these fit in my Omega.

Good luck and hope you find a sabot that works for you.

JUST PUT THE CALIPERS ON A 300GR XTP MAG WITH ONE OF THE KNIGHT E-Z LOAD SABOT AND IT WAS .502 :yeah:

LUNGBUSTER1

Well as much as I hate loading these things, They did account for another deer this weekend. :D :D Nearly 100 pound doe at 100 yards. Perfect shot quarting away bullet made complete penetration with an exit wound you could stick your arm thru. Obliterated the lungs and half of the heart. She did however run about 25 yards before she gave it up, which suprised me. What is all this talk about the shockwaves breaking up, I find it to be completly false. This is the second deer I have shot with them, and with both complete pass thru with very large exit wounds. ??

Does anyone know if Knight sells the ezload sabot without the bullet, say in 50 packs?

Kimber7man

Not sure if Knight does... but MMP does -> HPH-3p-EZ load sabot.... MMP probably makes the Knight sabot anyway....

lungbuster is correct try this address

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... 0061900126

Hornady now has a new too called the "low drag" - looks like an MMP-HPH-3p-Ez load to me - razorback could tell us for sure....

Does this orange sabot differ from the blue one they package with their "ez-load" TMZ bullets?

And is the sabot configured for the boattail base of the Knight TMZ or ultimate slam spitzer? I've got several packs of the Harvester crush rib, would those work with the 245 grain spitzer boattail? Thanks for all your assistance.

knight easy load sabot

I also had some of the barnes spitfires and knight tmzs with the yellow boattail sabots that were almost impossible to load. I called knight and they sold me a couple packs of the blue ez load boattail sabots.
The blue ez load sabots load very easy and are very accurate shooting both the 250gr. or the 290gr. boattails.

jbargers said:
Well as much as I hate loading these things, They did account for another deer this weekend. :D :D Nearly 100 pound doe at 100 yards. Perfect shot quarting away bullet made complete penetration with an exit wound you could stick your arm thru. Obliterated the lungs and half of the heart. She did however run about 25 yards before she gave it up, which suprised me. What is all this talk about the shockwaves breaking up, I find it to be completly false. This is the second deer I have shot with them, and with both complete pass thru with very large exit wounds. ??

Congrats on another harvest.

The shockwaves are pretty good with bp subs. The 250 has trouble staying together at smokeless speeds. Some like that performance and some do not.

The 300's on the otherhand seem to do well with both.

Back