Shooting .45 200 gr bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received my 45-200 Lee REAL/440 roundball mold Sunday. I cast a few of both to shoot from my Jukar 45. Just for kicks I put a couple in my CVA Bobcat 50 with 65 grains of RS (my most accurate load with PRB) using sabots from some of the Cheap Shots. I think I can work up a load for them. 2" at 50 yds.

Just for kicks I fired a couple using a denim X patch. They shot just as well.

I have n do, i am shooting Barnes .451 200 gr pistol bullets. I am using the H5045 Blk. sabot. I have only started have several groups that show promise, ragged 1 hole 25 yds. This is from my rock sparker Woodsman Hawken .50. I see this is the inline section, but it so happens i do shoot them & 225 gr Barnes from my T/C Blk. Diamond .50 cal, also .452 230 gr XTP's. I use 75 gr Trip 7 2 f, i get 2.5: groups n less off my shooting table with a single sandbag under forearm. I use an op dry wool wad with them. 125 yds. mod so i am happy enough with all of them. I will be doing more testing as the weather gets better & the winds get under 10 mph

Last edited:
My 1-48 twist rifles, T/C Hawken and Renegade, shoot the 200 grain Hornady .45 XTPs quite well with a Harvester crush rib sabot over 70 grains of 3f Swiss. 100 yard 3 shot groups average about 2 inches.
My 1-38 Firehawk does not like them. In fact, it's the only load I've shot in her that she doesn't like.
They would make a good varmint load. With that cave of a hollow point, I would expect fog and fur. For deer? Avoid big bones and quartering angles.

The vast majority of 200gr 45cal bullets will be too lightly constructed. There are a few though.

Barnes 45cal 200gr and 225gr XPB....The 225gr is really good
Hornady 45 200gr FTX, its made for 460S&W but i could never get them to shoot as good as the 225gr FTX

The vast majority of 200gr 45cal bullets will be too lightly constructed. There are a few though.

Barnes 45cal 200gr and 225gr XPB....The 225gr is really good
Hornady 45 200gr FTX, its made for 460S&W but i could never get them to shoot as good as the 225gr FTX
I had the same experience with the FTX. They have a hollow cavity enclosed in them. Might unbalance them at higher rpm’s .. also pretty rapid expansion at fairly low speeds.

200gr FTX is supposed to handle 2300fps+ 460S&W speeds. The 225gr is made for 45LC in lever guns. Huge difference how the two perform at 2000fps+ impacts. I shot them 225s at 2300ish FPS and they grenade on virtually anything they hit

BTW Hornady has a 200gr 45cal MonoFlex but im not seeing them available as components yet.

The 200 grain Barnes works wonders for me. I've shot them with a variety of propellants including 777 and vv N110.

Im a big fan of the 225gr XPB. Great bullet for rifles like the NULA or Ultra Lites. I shoot those around 2300fps. They are all kinds of nasty at that speed but they will do fine much slower too. Load them up to roughly 45LC +P+ type loads. In a little ML the recoil would be almost nothing.

Latest posts

Back