shooting bench/rest

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
i am going to be picking up eather a shooting rest or a portable shooting bench(have not decided which one) in a couple weeks. any favorites you guys use that you can recomend. anything will be an upgrade for accuracy, as my current rest is usually the seat of my polaris!

DCP06877.jpg

I found these rest on sale. It is a Caldwell Steady Rest. Nothing fancy mind you. It was around $25.00. And while it is not one of them that holds the rifle and basically does everything but pulls the trigger, I find it works just fine. In a blind with a table I can take this out and leave it in the blind for hunting (people do not steal on my land).

This would not be what you want it you want to try and shoot same hole groups, but for me and my range, it works fine. The other thing I use is shooting sticks.

Midway has the stedy Rest on sale for $19.99 right now
it is not fancy but a very good REST

Ron G.

I use a Protektor Model front rest with a matching bag, and a Matching bunny ear rear bag. I love it. It is not as heavy as "The Rock" but that just means less to pack to the range. I do hear most people love their "Rock" :wink: :wink:

anybody ever try the colapseable benches like they sell at cabela's. looks like a good idea but i doubt the sturdyiness of those.

Shooting Bench & Rest

03mossy,

IMO get or build yourself a Portable SHOOTING BENCH. For any serious range work you need a solid, comfortable and functional base to work with. Last spring I googled the net and found a couple of plans for portable shooting benches that I thought would work for me. What I built came out rock solid.
Next, get a "rabbit ear" rear sandbag and either a front sandbag or a fancy shooting rest if that is in your buget. I will try to find the sites for the shooting benches and add in a couple of pictures of my bench if I (or my 17 yo daughter) can figure out how to add pictures to a post. That will have to wait for tomorrow.
Only accurate rifles are interesting.

James

Can't and won't take credit for the booger bench, plans from the net.
It works very well for me here at home and also travels well to hunting camps.

The rest was a wood protype I did build and had ideas of making one from metal square tubeing. The wood one has worked so well and is light enough to travel to hunting camps I have no plans to weld up a heavy metal one now.

And thanks for the nice comments. I liked your Mustang story by the way.

:D Al

Shooting Bench

03mossy,

My shooting bench is a combination of 2 designs. The two sites are:
http://www.aeroaces.com/bench1.htm
http://www.larrywillis.com/shootingbench.html

I used the leg mounting idea of the 1st site, but used a 2x6 and cut the diagonal between 6" markings instead of 4 1/2" to make the wedges to angle the legs out. I also cut the 1 1/4" pipe to 29" to put the finished top very close to 30 - 31" high. that height allows me to use a 5 gal bucket for a seat, which doubles for carrying supplies to my range site.

I used the general shape of the 2nd site but modified the dementions to be 30" wide at the front and 14" wide at the back. Front to back remains 36". Used 2 layers of 3/4" plywood Which makes for a very sturdy top and is necessary for thickness to screw the leg flanges and wedges to underside of the table.

I have 5 pics that show detail & finished bench. Check the link.

http://my1.photozig.net/jascoesens/Albu ... opage.html

James

jascoesens-

thanks for the tips. the bench is under construction. for the top i used your layout but made it larger- a full 48" long as to not waste any plywood and 2" wider. the first coat of varnish is drying right now. i am going to use the same leg design just waiting on the father in law to get me the pipe i need(hes a well driller, lots of acsess to pipe). that seems to be the way to do it that will be the sturdiest. the bench is going to be just what i needed.

Nice shooting benches..Very similar to mine..I had to go out to see if mine was still there,, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Made mine years ago..Still holding up...I built a small reloading room onto my garage and I can set up the table and shoot right out the door...Works great on these cold days...

DONE :D i left the legs at 36" for now it is perfect for standing and shooting, i can always cut them down later. eazier to cut then add!

012508018.jpg

012508019.jpg

012508020.jpg

012508021.jpg

overall i am happy, it seems sturdy. you can't really tell from the pics but the top is smooth as a babies butt(6 coats of varnish :D ) i am going to test it sunday as it is the first day it will be over 30degrees in a month.

bench

Mossy, what is the wedges made out of and what is dimension.

That is a beauty and the new range out here does not have a good bench, so I'm building one this weekend. Man you got my fever up to do it right!!

Latest posts

Back