Shooting the PA Hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I decided to try out the PA Hunter .50 caliber. I was loading 100 grains of Graf's and Sons 2f Black Powder. I was using cast ball and pillow tick patches.

The first shot hit high for a couple reasons.. my notes said aim dead on, but the rifle was shooting high today. So I would aim just under the bull to hit where that major group is. The fliers were just that.. fliers.

aroundthehouse002.jpg

I would not have a problem hunting with this rifle. So I am narrowing the list down more.. :D

PA hunter

Dave
I hope they all shoot loke that I haven't had mine out for a while guess I better get it going while the weather is dry my flint doesn't like wet

After shooting roundballs for a lot of years-
1. Were you wiping the bore between shots? Most experienced roundball shooters do when shooting groups at the range. Obviously, they don't wipe between shots while hunting.
2. A new roundball barrel takes a couple hundred rounds to break in. A shortcut here (form Chuck Dixon's book on building PA longrifles) is to run a rod with fine steel wool up-and-down the barrel a couple hundred times. It can make your barrel shoot better sooner.

I think your off to a good start. Your rifle will get better as you shoot it more.

P A Hunter

I have been shooting round ball since 1970. I would much rather shoot a few more RB than run a steel rod with steel wool down a barrel I can think of no other way to ruin good rifling or at least round it off. I have done this to clean very leaded barrels but very seldom. I don't know what Dave thinks. I personally would not do it.

Since I was shooting under somewhat hunting conditions, I did not swab between shots. And actually, shooting traditional rifles I find less of a need to swab, even when shooting black powder. I'd hate to think how many loads I shot, with dirty fouling black powder as they claim, and never swabbed the bore.

I am not a steel wool person either Morris. I am a JB Bore Shine person though on a tight fitting patch. My shots are going to be around 40 yards or under from the stand I will use this rifle. I have little doubt about planting the ball where I want.

Also I am still shooting off the ball I bought from Gander Mountain I think it was when I was told about a cast ball sale they had. I bought 800 of them or maybe it was 1000 I forget. They seem to shoot real well.

I am still using a moose milk lube and tick patch like always, and I cut at the muzzle. Now all I need is the deer to cooperate.

I don't think he said steel rod. I use steel wool rapped around a bore mop, it sure helped my group! 8)

I have heard of other people using steel wool and they claim good results. I have never done that. I have used those green scotch brite pads a couple times with JB Bore Paste.

All we are trying to do is knock any ruff spots off the bore walls.

PA

I think I followed that receipt o scotch brite pad and JB bore paste a few years ago after you told me about lt. I stand corrected about the steel rod. I suppose the steel wool takes out the sharp lands that can cut patching material. I just would try it.

Good shooting Dave! That's one of my all time favorite rifles! :D

Back