Shot my first underhammer!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
What a blast! I felt I was cheating with 4x scope, but it was a lot of fun to the point I was actually shaky.
IMG_9770.jpg

.45cal ( custom fit 45-70 barrel ) Underhammer
30.5"L1 1/8"W barrel
1:22 twist
.440" round balls with .020" patch ( spit lube patch )

I first took it to 25 to zero in the scope, then backed out to 50 yards after I wiped the bore clean in the house and loaded up an assortment of powder charges.

At 50 yards, I first used 50 grains 3fg Goex and took my first 3 shots ( top right ) then I adjusted the scope down and center, took 3 more shots.
img_9912.jpg

Next, for the fun of it, I loaded up a hunting charge of 70gr 3fg goex! The recovered patches were still in perfect shape as well. I kept them within 1 1/2" group with that big charge. Not bad at all! I was shaky, so I think that group will improve the next time I get set up on something a little more sturdy to offset my shakes.
img_9913.jpg

I think I will hold on to her a little longer, play with her, refinish the barrel and stock and then maybe trade or sell her off down the road. A beautiful shooting underhammer indeed! I will however put a higher power scope on it! I have a nice Konus Pro 3-10x44 with super fine cross hairs that I think will do the job nicely.

I'm surprised that it shoots that well with 70 gr. 
Why don't you try some maxi balls or REALs in it and see how it does?

I actually may try some sabots. I will see what I have and get some .45cal sabots to go. I know I have some 160 and 185gr thor sabots.

FrontierGander said:
I actually may try some sabots. I will see what I have and get some .45cal sabots to go. I know I  have some 160 and 185gr thor sabots.
These guns shouldn't be taken lightly.

Hey Frontier....Nice piece wish I could figure to post a couple of pictures I could show you one of three Mule ears I have built...They are a hoot also....44In A weight Green Mountain...36  Cal...

Hilljack

I had a .36 caliber Poor Boy that was a killing machine, loaded with 55 grains of Goex 3F it sounded like a 22 Hornet with that loud crack. Really a fun little muzzleloader that the grandson now shoots and won't trade me for another gun...... :x

I had a .36 cal Hopkins/Allen Underhammer that was a squirrel killing machine with 40 gr of Goex 3f, tried to get it back from my friend after I traded it to him for a custom longbow with the agreement that Id have 1st dibs on gun if he got rid of it.. Well when I ask about getting it back he had sold it w/o asking me.

Latest posts

Back