Should I consider .... ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kodiak

Reaction score
I noticed something while watching a well-known TV muzzleloader reloading his rifle. He blew down the muzzle of his rifle before dumping a second load of loose black powder in it. Should I consider doing this also when a fast second shot is needed, although I use pelleted powder in my in-line? Or is it a good idea to do mostly when using loose powder?

TIA,

Kodiak said:
I noticed something while watching a well-known TV muzzleloader reloading his rifle. He blew down the muzzle of his rifle before dumping a second load of loose black powder in it. Should I consider doing this also when a fast second shot is needed, although I use pelleted powder in my in-line? Or is it a good idea to do mostly when using loose powder?

TIA,

And why did he do this?

Kodiak said:

TIA,

I wouldn't. Supposedly it's to extinguish any sparks. Always keep muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Don't know about you, but french kissing the muzzle don't sound like a safe direction. :lol:

Traditionally (in the days before readily available mass-produced patches), a shooter who had just fired would blow down the muzzle to clear the vent to the pan and to let humidity from his breath soften the black powder fouling and hopefully put out any ember that might remain in the barrel. Then place a large piece of cloth over the barrel, short start the roundball until just below flush with the muzzle, then use a knife to cut off the rest of the cloth. Since the gun (which had an empty pan and didn't even have a removable breech plug, much less a second shot) had just been discharged, there was nothing unsafe about it.

However, the "Ten Commandments of Gun Safety" dictate that you always treat every gun as though it is loaded and never point any gun at something you don't want to shoot. That would include one's head.

I have no real problem with those who have long practiced the habit. However, modern primers will much more forcefully clear the nipple/vent than your breath will, and there should hopefully be less fouling. Additionally, black powder is no longer home- or locally-made and hand-ground from charcoal made from chunks of wood from a dogwood or ash tree, so it should be much more uniform and small-grained--resulting in much less chance of a stray ember remaining in the barrel.

Most importantly, the best way to clear fouling (or to make sure all embers are extinguished) is to spitpatch between shots. It's much more likely to put out embers and it wipes away the fouling, not just moistens it. Personally, I can't imagine why anyone would NOT spitpatch between shots. Accuracy is built on uniformity and consistency, and spitpatching (a spitpatch followed by a dry patch) between shots will keep your barrel uniformly fouled, instead of the barrel becoming progressively fouled the more you shoot.

I believe the reason many do it today is the fact that #11 caps often left a little piece of varnish or something, the size of the nipple orifice, that could cause a mis-fire. This was done often with the off-set niples such as on Hawkin and other traditional precussion rifles. Blowing thru the muzzle would blow that piece out. RWS caps often left this piece in the nipple.

Like Mountain Man said.....

I used to do the same thing in the 70's. In fact the term was "blowin your brains out". Ask any buckskinner.

Care must be taken however, when blowing your brains out on a sub zero day!!!! :shock:

Back