Sidelock Hammer Split: Problem or by design?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarwinsFlinch

Reaction score
I had a friend lay a Traditions Deer Hunter on me. Said it had not been fired in 20 years and had no idea its condition. Turns out it was a dirty rusty mess that I could barely get an oiled patch down but, after about 50 patches or so, it feels pretty smooth. Still dirty but far better. My question is about the hammer on this thing. Is it split or was it made this way? My friend says it has been this way as far as he can recall and the only real pic I could dig up seems to suggest that it is by design if you look closely but I am interested in your thoughts.

Image 002.jpegImage 001.jpegExample.PNG

Not disagreeing w deermanok at all but get some Kroil and JB bore paste and swap the snot out of that barrel is another way to get the rust out and help polish the bore.

Don't be scared to get after it. Mix up a thin paste w the 2 and scrub like never before.

I think my dad's TC Hawken has a split hammer and I am thinking mine is solid all the way around. Hadn't even thought of the difference until I saw this post.
Yup, made that way on purpose. I think the reason is to direct the flash from cap away from the shooter. Plus the notch helps to remove a stuck cap, which happens from time to time. A finger nail or small knife blade can be worked into the notch.

Over the years, I've owned several Deerhunter rifles. The one I currently have is a rare 45 caliber with a slow twist round ball barrel.
They're not exactly pretty guns but for a no frills, accurate shooting woods gun, you really can't go wrong.
Hopefully you'll get yours cleaned up good and enjoy shooting it.

Back