Sighting in distance!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireFly908

Reaction score
I'm new to ML and have already searched the forum for this question without finding a definitive answer, if there even is one. My question is, what distance do I want to sight my ML in at?
I plan on hunting deer with it and most shots should be 50 yards or less, but could go up to 100 yards. I would hesitate to attempt a shot longer that that.
I have a new .50 Cal Traditions Pursuit with a scope. I am going to start out with Barnes 250 mg Spit-Fire T-EZ Sabots and 100 mg of 777 pellets.
Thank you for your time.

I hunt in about the same kind of shooting situation. Most my shots are under 50 yards. But there is a slight chance that I can get out to 100 yards.

There are two options... sight in for the close shot, or sight in for 75 yards. Then learn the drop at 100 yards and how high at 50. Normally all you'd have to do then is aim dead center in the kill zone and you will hit something vital. I personally sight my scopes in for 75 yards. I know that they will be about an inch and a half high at 50 yards and about two inches low at 100 yards. So all I have to do is aim dead center broadside kill shot and touch it off.

My suggestion would be to zero it at 100yds. Even at point blank range the amount it will shoot high is not going to affect a good shot placement enough to hurt anything. I would bore sight it if that is an option and then get it zeroed at 25 yds then move back and zero it at 50 then back to 100 and zero it at 100.

SJAdventures said:
My suggestion would be to zero it at 100yds. Even at point blank range the amount it will shoot high is not going to affect a good shot placement enough to hurt anything. I would bore sight it if that is an option and then get it zeroed at 25 yds then move back and zero it at 50 then back to 100 and zero it at 100.

Ditto

You don't get a really definitive answer most likely because every rifle is a little different, and each rifle has a load combination that is most accurate. There are some sample charts out there, but I never see one for a 300 gr Deep Curl, MMP12 sabot, with 80 gr T7.

I think if you find your best load, then you can check your actual ballistics at 50/75/100, if you want to get that detailed about it.

By the way, I vote 100yds.

The wife shoots a Traditions Pursuit. I zero'd it dead on at 100 yds.
For deer, from point blank to 100 yds just put the crosshairs where you want to hit.

On another note. Her Pursuit was getting 1 1/2"-2" groups at 100 yds with 100 grs of 777 pellets and 250 gr SST's. It had to be swabbed every other shot or you couldn't shove another sabot down it.
I tried some Blackhorn 209 in it a couple weeks ago. 100 gr volume and the same bullet, it's now shooting clover leafs. No swabbing after 15 shots and it still loads without busting a vein in the brain.

That's why I love shooting Blackhorn 209! Makes things so much simpler, atleast for me.

For me I would sight in at 75 yds and then shoot at 50 to see how high it hits and again at 100 to see where it hits there also. If you are within 3 inches high or low at the 50 or 100 yd distance you have the best of both worlds because as Cayuga says you can aim dead on all the way to 100 yds and be confident of a lethal hit.

I sight in at 25 yds till I get a group, then go out to 50 yds to see where we are, and end up at 100 yds. I finish up with a group 1" above bull at 100. Same with centerfires, if I miss its my fault. :)

I would zero it in at 100 yards. For load development, I would use powder instead of pellets.

Keep in mind that the projectile is going to cross the line of site twice. It leaves the muzzle at about 1 inch plus below the line of site, it will then cross somewhere between 25 and 30 yards downrange and continue in an upward arc to midrange and then cross again somewhere around 80 to 100 yards. These numbers are influenced by many variables such as charge weight, projectile weight, bullet shape and a host of other inputs. The important part is to remember to take into account that you will be dead on at two points in the path of that bullet. With my APEX I am 2 inches high with a 300 grain Hornady SP and 100 gr. of BH 209 at 100 yards. I am dead on at 50 and 150 and 3 in low at 200. Two deer this year were at 155 and 195 yards Held dead center kill zone on both. But nothing I say here will replace practice and load work up on your part. With muzzleloaders it is a must for you to work up the load to gun. No two are alike. Also the more you shoot your gun the better it and you will get.
FAB

I personally like most on this forum sight my Ml at 75 yds. That being said, I always check to see where she shoots at 25, 50 and 100 yds. I would then tape the information to the stock for reference, unless you have good memory like me. What were we talking about ?? :D

Latest posts

Back