Sighting in techniques?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbrown57

Reaction score
Who here uses a Harris bipod and a rear sandbag for stability while sighting in a rifle or muzzleloader? I’ve found that specific set up to get me the best groups and most stability. I’ve tried lead sleds but I don’t care for how they feel on the shoulder. Any one do something else that works for them?

I use a Caldwell The Rock Jr. and rear universal v bag. I set the front as high as it'll go and use my left hand on the rear bag to make adjustments.

That’s nearly my exact set up. The rear leather v bag holds its shape extremely well and is very solid.
I really like that rear Protektor bag. Sometimes I use a piece of satin on it to allow it to recoil easier and free.
I stopped using a Rock front rest and only shoot off the bipod now. I like my Atlas ;)

There are several different shooting rests and techniques out there. Me, I like a solid rest for both pistol and rifle and I am cheap, so I built my own from stuff in the shop. Shaft is threaded so adjustable. Base has adjustable legs for those uneven benches at the range, brass tension bolt to lock adjustment in, V block is oak and padded and covered with soft leather, sand bags allow for rear support.

Attachments

• Shooting Rest 3.jpg
    Shooting Rest 3.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Shooting Rest 4.jpg
    Shooting Rest 4.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 21
Cadwell dead shot bag combo. I really only use the front one.View attachment 20194
I have that same bag & the matching V reay one. The fromt os filled with long grain rice. The smaller rear - good old Fl sand. ElCheap-o's but they work just fine. I also have the Primo's version of the Lead Sled. I like that a lot & being able to remove the back half for a rifle to just use the frome tri pod alone was cool. Again, not fancy nor expensive, but do just fine. I shot off a sand bag or range bag for decades.

The actual sighting in process for me has never had anything to do with whatever equipment I had, I had none for a long time. My biggest obstacle to overcome when trying to fine-tune my gun is " ME ". I need to be relaxed & in a good state of mind & be able to focus completely on the mechanical things necessary to shoot well. When I have that " settled into my shooting " state, I could drive nails at 100yds. When my heads not in it & I can't relax & control my breathing I'll end up hangin my head at my groups. I have a old pair of heavy hunting sox that I put one inside the other, then filled it with sane & tied it off, for a front rest for a long time too with no rear rest but my left hand.

I've always used a lead sled type device to cradle my rifle. My theory is if i can stabilize and replicate each shot while sighting in i can remove myself from the equation. Once i get the rifle sighted in without my influence, I'll start firing from common poses i use while hunting. cuz im not the best shot so if im chasing the POI with me holding the rifle I believe I'm more than likely sighting into a POI that is linked to my poor shooting habits, methods, and posture. just my 2 cents....

I find this to be a very interesting discussion. Four years I have used a good gun holding device when I was citing in an order to be sure that any inaccuracy was my fault alone. This worked very well with unmentionables, not so good with my flintlock. When I sited in using it, my shots by just holding the gun, Would shoot to the left side probably 4 inches had 50 yards as I am left-handed. It has to be something that I am doing after I pull the trigger, but I haven't figured out what it is. I haven't noticed this same problem with my percussions but I plan to do a good search at the range this summer.
Squint

I find this to be a very interesting discussion. Four years I have used a good gun holding device when I was citing in an order to be sure that any inaccuracy was my fault alone. This worked very well with unmentionables, not so good with my flintlock. When I sited in using it, my shots by just holding the gun, Would shoot to the left side probably 4 inches had 50 yards as I am left-handed. It has to be something that I am doing after I pull the trigger, but I haven't figured out what it is. I haven't noticed this same problem with my percussions but I plan to do a good search at the range this summer.
Squint
" unmentionables " really. lmao Are you referring to CF guns? When I was a kid, unmentionables was an uptight straightlaced term for underwear.

" unmentionables " really. lmao Are you referring to CF guns? When I was a kid, unmentionables was an uptight straightlaced term for underwear.
when you're use to being on the other muzzleloader site, unmentionables are a common term. Not so here, so to get you on the same page, any cartridge rifle is unmentionable there. Please excuse the age slip, and yes, I came from the time when you did not talk about ladies lace things except in the barn. Did you?

when you're use to being on the other muzzleloader site, unmentionables are a common term. Not so here, so to get you on the same page, any cartridge rifle is unmentionable there. Please excuse the age slip, and yes, I came from the time when you did not talk about ladies lace things except in the barn. Did you?
Its all good Squint, I wasn't tryin to punt ya in the nads, just havin a lil fun with the term thats all. It struck me as funny. I've never heard it used for guns though. I did come from a time & ppl that used that term for underwear as well, but I never had any use for uptight, straightlaced & proper ways of doin & sayin anything myself. Thanks for the 411 on it though.

Yeah, you'll find me on here more than those other forums. They can can be cotton picking ninny muggins over there by themselves. Drives me nuts these websites that allow their admins indulge in their mental illness manifesting as "upholding the rules" website can get DDOS'ed and taken offline for all I care. Hoping to get my GPR and Accura V2 LR out this weekend and see if my scope held it's zero after I dropped both of them yesterday. I was reading this thread and decided to pull em out. Then like the clutz I am, and go and fuggg up my scopes and bending my receiver mounted sights ... Guess this thread was divine intervention to get my but out to the range.

Its all good Squint, I wasn't tryin to punt ya in the nads, just havin a lil fun with the term thats all. It struck me as funny. I've never heard it used for guns though. I did come from a time & ppl that used that term for underwear as well, but I never had any use for uptight, straightlaced & proper ways of doin & sayin anything myself. Thanks for the 411 on it though.
Nothing hurt, it's suddenly made me realize how far over the Hill I really am. I never did get up to owning one of those fancy muzzleloaders, my flintlock has been the most challenging and probably the most fun on windy days. Percussions have been my best game getters, but I did get an antelope with my flintlock. I don't care for the net picking on that other website, but there are some smart people on there that have decent answers. You can block the ones you don't like, I never have, I accept them for what they're worth and I have probably made the most comments on that site. I support them both, they're both needed.
Squint

Back