Silver Scopes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HrnHuntR

Reaction score
I'm new to inline muzzleloading and was wondering why hunters put silver scopes on their rifles. Is it just for looks with the stainless barrel, or do they hold up better with the blowback. I guess my question is how does a matte finish scope hold up compared to a silver one. Does one show less signs of wear over the other.

HrnHuntR said:
I'm new to inline muzzleloading and was wondering why hunters put silver scopes on their rifles. Is it just for looks with the stainless barrel, or do they hold up better with the blowback. I guess my question is how does a matte finish scope hold up compared to a silver one. Does one show less signs of wear over the other.

I think it's strickly for looks and don't think one holds up better than the other. I prefer matt scopes even on a stainless rifle. :)

I have a stainless barrel so I got stainless rings and scope as I thought it matched better. For me similar looks only.

dwhunter said:
HrnHuntR said:

I think it's strickly for looks and don't think one holds up better than the other. I prefer matt scopes even on a stainless rifle. :)

That's me too! I went the stainless scope/stainless rifle with a Ruger M77 All-Weather 30-06 and a Leupold 3.5-10X50 Vari-X III once. I HATED it! You KNOW how much I change scopes around but THAT scope could NEVER be used on a blued gun! I'll never make THAT mistake again!

I guess that means you don't like the looks of a siver scope on a black stock and blued rifle.

HrnHuntR said:
I guess that means you don't like the looks of a siver scope on a black stock and blued rifle.

What would be the point? :?

I don't like flashy silver at all on a gun that is primarily a hunting weapon, even the stainless barrel and action. I would have the gun (10ML) camoed, probably, but I'm worried that it would add significantly to cooling time between shots.

On black synthetic stocked rifles with stainless action and barrel, I think the black scope looks particularly good, matching the stock and providing a nice contrast between the black above and below and the single line of silver in between.

Latest posts

Back