sizing bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white eagle

Reaction score
On sizing bullets for bullet to bore how tight do you want them?
I realize you need to put them into the powder column so do you want them to slide down easily or what? I had one that fit perfectly in the muzzle but when I went to seat it I could not move it so I had to dump my charge and pound it back out.

Just started sizing bullets myself.... my goal is ability to start a lubed pure-lead or soft-alloy bullet in a lightly fouled bore (ie 2d or 3d bullet with no swabbing after the first) with just my thumb, but to have enough resistance sliding down the bore that it stays on the powder through a week of hunting. To that end I bought an adjustable sizer (Hankins), and am starting to experiment.

Was the bullet you had problems with lubed?

mine are Lehigh defense pure cooper bullets, no lube involved
it may be easier when I get my mold from Accurate Molds and get the bullets powder coated

mine are Lehigh defense pure cooper bullets, no lube involved
it may be easier when I get my mold from Accurate Molds and get the bullets powder coated
I'm currently experimenting with sizing full-bore lead conicals that are commercially available - Hornady Great Plains and PA, TC Maxi-Hunters. Don't want to get into casting my own because I have too many other hobbies.... but will probably take it up if I can't acceptable results with the commercially available bullets.

Latest posts

Back