sizing copper bullets ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Encore50 told me a year or so ago that when sizing any jacketed bullet you need to run them through your sizer a couple or three times and use them shortly there after. Having a bit of metalurgical experience I can see where this is true. All metals have elasticity - some more than others. Copper will spring back a bit when run through a sizer but the good part of this is that copper also work hardens quickly. (ever take a piece of copper tubing and bend it a couple times? It breaks.) Now I realize that the copper used in bullets is annealed and probably alloyed a little to make it more ductile. But running one through a sizing die a couple times will reduce the spring back effect.

Encore50 told me a year or so ago that when sizing any jacketed bullet you need to run them through your sizer a couple or three times and use them shortly there after. Having a bit of metalurgical experience I can see where this is true. All metals have elasticity - some more than others. Copper will spring back a bit when run through a sizer but the good part of this is that copper also work hardens quickly. (ever take a piece of copper tubing and bend it a couple times? It breaks.) Now I realize that the copper used in bullets is annealed and probably alloyed a little to make it more ductile. But running one through a sizing die a couple times will reduce the spring back effect.

Because the sizer may not be perfectly circular, you may want to turn the bullet 180 degrees before the second pass through the sizer.

It very well may be this shooter is too persnickety, but when sizing bullets they are turned four times; sized four times. This ensures they are quite round, and they also don't spring back. If one uses Fury bullets, it seems they never spring back, and they are easy to size.
Ron that's another plus for Furys. And after a bit of calculating, they aren't that much more than any other quality bullet out there. Looks like I'll be giving them a "shot" later this year. BTW I haven't forgotten about that powder test. I just haven't had the time. Its tough keeping up with 2 houses 1100 miles apart and still have time for some shooting and having everything done before hunting seasons roll around. I try to be AWOL from the house as much as possible from October thru mid-January.

Latest posts

Back