sizing copper bullets ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i won't be shooting solid lead . i do have some blue saboted 250 and 290 TEZs along with some .452 XTP 250s . so i should be able to us them (without sabots) in the 45 brux if i have the sizer ?

didn't expect to find this .

You wont know if the Barnes fit until you get the barrel. Good chance they will go down too easy without a knurl. XTPs are no problem to size but they WILL need to be sized. I would avoid the MAGs just because the jacket is so thick.

i almost picked up some 180 XTPs in basspro last week , 100 for $25 but i was looking for the 200s i've seen mentioned here . would there be much difference . i do want something cheap to punch paper with . lite blues are on the to get list . i'll give the hand press some more google time , thanks .
I have the Lee hand press and can almost certainly promise you that you will have no problem using it, at all. I also have that partner press, its a great sold press, but i rarely use it since i got a Lee turret press. I have one turret setup with all 4 of my .45 sizing dies. .4515, 4525, 453, .457. A couple have been polished out to a better fit for a specific barrel. So stinking easy if you wanted to step size something just spin the turret 1/4 turn and use the next sizer.

If i can do it you can to. 60 and a bad back. I sure aint no gorrila either. :D

I do bullets like Parkers, XTPs and even take 458s down in 2 steps with just a Lee Hand press.

BTW you want a cheap easy simple load to shoot? SML ONLY NOT FOR SMOKERS!!!
200gr XTP
Harvester Light Blue
32gr N110 with a max of 35gr (may need a wad at 35gr) but 32gr is good for around 2300fps and its rock solid dependable. Recoil is almost nothing in a heavier sml.

Thats 218 shots from a pound of powder. And VV powders ares around 40$-50$ per pound. Buy 2lbs from Grafs and even with Hazmat its way cheaper than BH209 per shot. SML ONLY NOT FOR SMOKERS!!!
I agree totally....
With a few adjustments to the above load you would be able to cover a majority of hunting situations.

My optima elete 45-70 barrel sml bore is .4525 at the lands near as I can tell and it loads the lehigh full bore size bullet easily after the first jab with a bullet starter. But I want to use my cast lee 405gr .458 bullet sized down for land riding in this sml. I’m going to use a lee .454 sizer and then use the adjustable Hankins die from there. I’m going to try and get a load with smokeless at bp speeds at about 1300fps.

i'll be shooting sabots at first ..... but with a Brux .45 barrel , when i'm ready to shoot with full bore pure (or mostly pure) copper do i NEED to get a die or can i trust the bullet diameter advertised for brux 45 barrels ? we can hunt with lead here but i don't want to be concerned with possible lead particles or smearing on edible parts ..... everything isn't for everybody .... . or will i only be able to shoot lead or jacketed bullets if they have to be sized ? i recall a comment here about monoflexes being too hard to size without torching them because they're an alloy and pure copper is softer ... or something to that effect , i think . BTW i'm not at all interested in torching bullets to size them at this time .

if i really really really need to get a die (down the road) is there anything better for similar money or maybe just a little more than the $145 hankins kit ?
https://hanksprecisiongunparts.com/p/smooth-bullet-sizing-die-complete-kit-45-long-3-120-in-blue
thanks , jeff
if you know what size bullet you need, there is a guy on castboolit site that can make a nice one,,,, i got a .448 from him and it is "perfect" ($30 too!!).. ask for garandsrus.. i got mine a few weeks ago,,, it should work just as well on copper,, long as you know what you need,, its not adjustable but if he would you could get several sizes for what one of the adjustable cost..

With a sml i prefer the smokeless powder to Blk. n subs. Its not a big thing, i pour 32 gr of 4759 down the bore n drop a dry wool wad on top. Put my 200xtp in blue sabot push down til seated n shoot. They are good to an easy 2600 fps, would do 2700 fps just keep the barrel cool between shots. I don't shoot blk n subs from my sml unless the State regs say i have to
Why the wool wad ? I’m just asking because I use 38gr of imr4759 with harvester blue smooth sabots and 200gr bullets and see no signs of sabot stress.

It helps protect the sabot from blowing. Every gun is a little bit different. I used a wool wad when working up saboted loads with VV N110.

I understand what it does but I never had a need for it with imr4749. I can see the need with some other powders though.

Encore50A uses fury bullets. I believe these are solid copper. He runs his bullets through a sized that is set for his bore 5x. He says this eliminates any "bounce back" from the metal. This allows him to load his sized bullets in the bore with the exact same loading pressure. I believe him because he shoot incredibly small groups at 600+ yards. He'd be the one to talk to on this subject.

I understand what it does but I never had a need for it with imr4749. I can see the need with some other powders though.
Well i was put on them by Steve White from Ar. after i blew a sabot during the Summer when i was in Mo. So i started using them to good effect after that. My barrel gets hot fairly quick with my NEF .45 It also helps when using bore riders in the sealing help.

I use them for bore riders and if I had a problem blowing sabots I would too.

Attachments

• IMG_0961.jpeg
    IMG_0961.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
My optima elete 45-70 barrel sml bore is .4525 at the lands near as I can tell and it loads the lehigh full bore size bullet easily after the first jab with a bullet starter. But I want to use my cast lee 405gr .458 bullet sized down for land riding in this sml. I’m going to use a lee .454 sizer and then use the adjustable Hankins die from there. I’m going to try and get a load with smokeless at bp speeds at about 1300fps.
I meant to say my bore size is .4535

so hankin's sizer and the lee hand press it is when i'm ready .
thanks folks :)
If you’re sizing soft easy to size bullets or just a few ten thousands of an inch the lee hand press is fine but if it’s tough hard bullets I prefer a good bench press. I size some tough .458 bullets down to .4532 range is why I prefer the bench press and even with that I have to use a good high pressure lube.

Fury does not make a monometal (copper) bullet
That may be but the point is that the reason the bullets are sized 5x is to prevent bounce back from the bullet. In other words to remove the metal memory. Sort of like when you try to straighten a metal rod. If you bend it to just straight and release, it will still have a slight bend. You have to bend it past straight to get it straight. The repeated sizing does the same thing.

I bought a beat up .45 tc hawken just for the stock. I'm going to play with sizing some XTPs or similar and see how they load and shoot.
First things first tho. I'll slug the bore and see what to size them to. Any recommendations? Bore dia., .001" over bore???

Seems like most guys size jacketed bullets by feel. That will be tough in a closed breech barrel where you cannot push the bullet through. Maybe start way under and size up till you get it just right.

Latest posts

Back