small caliber smokeless ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Has anybody given any thaught to a small caliber smokeless ML for small game? I think it would be kinda cool for squirre, rabbit, and other small game. Maybe design a .30 cal or so barrel to fit a inside the 10ML barrel like the .22 barrel that fits some Knight MLs. Then you could be using the same rifle that you deer hunt with, and that would get you more practice to it in real world hunting conditions. You would have to use hard cast bore diameter bullets but that shouldn't be much of a problem.

HighTechRedneck said:
Has anybody given any thaught to a small caliber smokeless ML for small game? I think it would be kinda cool for squirre, rabbit, and other small game. Maybe design a .30 cal or so barrel to fit a inside the 10ML barrel like the .22 barrel that fits some Knight MLs. Then you could be using the same rifle that you deer hunt with, and that would get you more practice to it in real world hunting conditions. You would have to use hard cast bore diameter bullets but that shouldn't be much of a problem.
HTR

I'm in the process of making a rifle that will shoot 40 caliber JACKETED bullets.

The whole idea is based on the 408 caliber barrel from Pac-Nor that has land diameter of .400".

The key to a good sabotless load is the bullet to bore fit and with .40 calibers in supply most any where I think it will be a very good sub-caliber rifle.

I was thinking smaller scale than a .40, but a .40 would be a lot more versitile than the idea I threw out.

To be totaly honest I was thinking about something with just slightly more power as a .22 long rifle combined with a way to use the same rifle and get real world practice on live animals instead of just using range time for practice. Probably not a real practical idea, but it would be something else to tinker with.

I am following RB in AR .40 caliber sabotless idea closely. I keep hoping there was some way to make a .38 smokeless ML. That would even interest me more but apparently is not nearly as feasible without a special barrel or resizing bullets to a specific size. RB, keep up the good work, you really have helped advance smokeless and tried new and various procedures. We all gain from that.

HTRN,
The 408(actually 40 cal) is legal in AR for deer. I shot a T/C Senica for years with 32 cal/maxi balls. It was great on varmints.

Latest posts

Back