SMI ? Encore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Barnes boattail bullets have actually been some of the most accurate bullets available for many who have used them. They do like some speed, though, and charge more on the upper side of whichever powder you are going to use. Since they are all copper, the lack of obturation can lead to lack of pressure more quickly than with jacketed bullets, so solid ignition and good pressure growth is needed to get consistent results.

Furthermore, the benefits of a boattail will be seen more at the longer ranges and less at the shorter ranges. Doohan's, even if Doohan's groups could be bettered at 100 yards, there is less likelihood of that at 200 yards and beyond.

Nice looking weapon :)

Just wondering why SMI uses 1:36 twist while Savage is 1:24? Isn't 1:24 superior for .45 MZ bullets in general?

Do you think the slower rifling is accounting for some of the more open groups?

Mountain Man said:
The Barnes boattail bullets have actually been some of the most accurate bullets available for many who have used them. They do like some speed, though, and charge more on the upper side of whichever powder you are going to use. Since they are all copper, the lack of obturation can lead to lack of pressure more quickly than with jacketed bullets, so solid ignition and good pressure growth is needed to get consistent results.

Furthermore, the benefits of a boattail will be seen more at the longer ranges and less at the shorter ranges. Doohan's, even if Doohan's groups could be bettered at 100 yards, there is less likelihood of that at 200 yards and beyond.

I was of the understanding that the boattail bullets have been by far the most finicky. They have been for me. The problem being with the sabot, not the bullet. When I push them harder, it doesn't go well. IMO, I still believe that day in and day out, the non-boattail bullets will be easier to get to group well, plus you can get different sabots for them to experiment with. If I could get the boattail bullets to fly well at good velocity, I would be very happy as I like the ballestic advantage they offer. The boattail bullets are obviousily shooting well in his SMI, however I think there could still be a little more accuracy to be had with other bullets. It will be interesting to see.

Grouse said:
nugbuk said:
Thanks JJ. I need to try your load 62GR N120 and 285GR MZ. What MV are you getting?

That's a pretty stout load for an SMI isnt it? Really nice shooting Nug. 8)

Thanks Tom. It may be a little stout. If you look at the top of the page, I have tried 60GR N120 and MZ285GR. MV was in 2350 ft/sec range and did not produce good group.

I was of the understanding that the boattail bullets have been by far the most finicky. They have been for me. The problem being with the sabot, not the bullet. When I push them harder, it doesn't go well. IMO, I still believe that day in and day out, the non-boattail bullets will be easier to get to group well, plus you can get different sabots for them to experiment with. If I could get the boattail bullets to fly well at good velocity, I would be very happy as I like the ballestic advantage they offer. The boattail bullets are obviousily shooting well in his SMI, however I think there could still be a little more accuracy to be had with other bullets. It will be interesting to see.

My feelings EXACTLY! I have never gotten the Barnes B-T to shoot that great CONSISTANTLY. My ULA will shoot the 245gr Spitfires into the same hole at 100yds with 34-36gr N-110.. Go over that...the groups open up. As you..I wish I COULD get them to shoot!

nugbuk said:
I guess I need to start shooting more XPB's, SST's and XTP's. :roll:

That 57 grain load looks mighty good though!!! I sure would be very, very happy with that. My problem is that I just can't leave things alone. I always have to tinker with a good thing. :? It is fun though!!!

encoreguy said:
That 57 grain load looks mighty good though!!! I sure would be very, very happy with that. My problem is that I just can't leave things alone. I always have to tinker with a good thing. :? It is fun though!!!

Kyle, I aggree with you. That makes it fun.

9/10/2006 65F
I think I found moose load:
61GR N120
TMZ 290GR
MV 2360
P9100026_1.jpg

Looks very good! Is the group the white dots or the cut out area in the middle? Either way, very nice!

That's GREAT Nug! What's shooting the way you want! When do you go on your moose hunt?

encoreguy said:
Looks very good! Is the group the white dots or the cut out area in the middle? Either way, very nice!
4 shoot group is cut out area. I'm just reusing target over and over again and cover holes with stickers.

big6x6 said:
That's GREAT Nug! What's shooting the way you want! When do you go on your moose hunt?
Thanks Chuck. That is exactly what I wanted. Now it is time to move to 200 yards.
Jimmy and I going moose hunting in Vermont on Oct 21- 26. I drew moose tag this year. :D
He is pressing me to take ML, but until now I did not have any good moose load. I need to test it on 200 yards and build confidence in that load. Anyway we are going to do first scouting next weekend. I'll post pictures if we see something interesting.

Latest posts

Back