Smokeless 4 bore barrel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2SHORTT

Reaction score
So, I have an idea. I was wondering about 4 bore's. I want to build a 4 bore and did a few searches and found countless 4 bore builds on other forums and a video series on a builder who has built 2 of them. Everything I could find online was for black powder. Does a 4 bore smokeless barrel exist? Maybe the pressures spikes are too much for standard barrel metals, I don't know? But figured I'd ask here!

So, I have an idea. I was wondering about 4 bore's. I want to build a 4 bore and did a few searches and found countless 4 bore builds on other forums and a video series on a builder who has built 2 of them. Everything I could find online was for black powder. Does a 4 bore smokeless barrel exist? Maybe the pressures spikes are too much for standard barrel metals, I don't know? But figured I'd ask here!
Man I've always wanted an h&h 2 bore

I may be on the section of the site..But I also is looking for someone on this site can build or tell me someone who build a large for a two bore muzzle loader I am trying to build.So if anyone has this information would they post it.

Never saw the 950 JDJ from SSK/Lehigh?

WOW! Thats the second biggest squirrel gun I've ever seen. And 40.00 a shot..... must have a 1/4lb of BH 209 in every one. The coolest thing about that lil gem is that with the right optics, one can sit in one county & squirrel hunt in the next county over.... no problem.
It would be awesome for Friendship too, like for guys in neighboring states that can't travel to the match, they can shoot right from their own yard in Ohio, Ky & Illinois. You guys in the Mi UP might need a 20 MOA rail.

When I was a teenager, Dixie Gun Works advertised in their catalogue, a smooth bore 4 bore muzzleloader. But by the time I saved up enough money to order one, it was too late they were sold out. Have never seen one show up anywhere either so I really don’t know if anyone actually got one. They even sold a fishing sinker lead mold that cast round balls at the proper size for it too. Anyway now that I am older and wiser there is no way I would ever attempt to shoot one off the shoulder.

I Have a custom made shoulder 4 bore in line..But now trying to build a 1.5 bore a 2 bore..What to upscale up an action large enough for a punt gun and not a shoulder one..So if anyone builds muzzle loader..Would they post this information..Thank you

See if you can contact these guys -

Honestly that video is what sparked my interest. I may be misremembering but I thought that gun had black powder cartridges? I'm going to rewatch the video, I'm second guessing myself now.

EDIT**
Ok, I just started watching the video, and this isn't the video I was thinking of. He released one a week or two ago shooting a zombie gelatin target in the one I'm thinking of. And that definitely isn't a black powder load. Tha is for the tip. Hopefully I can talk with some engineers with that barrel manufacturer.

And to address the DD comment, I think as long as I keep it a front stuffer I should be good. I'll have to have my lawyer do some research for me. Thanks for bringing that possibility to my attention.

Last edited:
And to address the DD comment, I think as long as I keep it a front stuffer I should be good. I'll have to have my lawyer do some research for me. Thanks for bringing that possibility to my attention.

Front stuffer is exempt from NFA, maybe start by looking at scale model cannons ?

Back