Smokeless 4 bore barrel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to say that as a muzzleloader you are good to go with huge bore guns. If you wanted you can still buy muzzleloading cannons no problem. Thus a little big bore rifle or smoothbore should not be a problem either. But if it uses cartridges and is breech loaded then it is a NFA issue.

That reminds me of the Cutthroat Island movie where the Dwarf fires their big bore blunderbuss and is blown backwards from the recoil. It may have been a deck gun being carried.

My mistake it was actually a Pirates of the Caribbean movie:

Last edited:
I keep thinking about this because, why not?

A 4 bore is a hair under 26mm and a hair over 1".

There have been quite a few 25mm anti-tank/air/boat machineguns, but getting a barrel may be tricky. The 20mm Lahti is a "common" (as things go) DD, I did find a reference to a new US made barrel for one for sale 6 years ago for 2600...

Also found this thread on ar15.com about a guy wanting to do a .50 cal wildcat based on a 25mm cannon case... several potential sources for barrels are mentioned, Bartlein and Fedderson for known-name barrel folk and maybe Batten Machine in Romulus, MI was mentioned.

Yes as it will take a 2-bore or 1.5 bore.
The internal thread diameter of a Rem 700 ML action is about 1.065". If that is about the bore diameter of the barrel, you are going to need a much larger action. It would require a 50 BMG action at a minimum, and even that may not be large enough.

What is the diameter of the shank of your barrel on the breech end?

I am building a muzzleloader punt gun which will be black powder..Also I need is huge large.. I have in-line action 4-bore muzzleloader and just wondering if I can use that action for my 2-bore?

I am building a muzzleloader punt gun which will be black powder..Also I need is huge large.. I have in-line action 4-bore muzzleloader and just wondering if I can use that action for my 2-bore?

It would depend on how much barrel thickness you have with the barrel threaded and fitted to the receiver. But pics and some measurements would help.

Back