smokeless measure is...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oper2nyst

Reaction score
when throwing charges for smokeless we are talking by weight, is that correct? as opposed to volume for black powder

you know, i'm usually on top of my gear , but got tied up at work this week and didnt get a chance to pick any up, so i weighed 1 charge and put it in the small vials i use for bp and scribed a line at the charge line. was kind of hard even locating the powder this week in the area.

Buy a inexpensive,set of balance beam scales! Lee makes a set that are very inexpensive,and accurate! The dippers are OK,but I'd rather hand weigh each charge. That way you have eliminated one of the variables in your loading system. Also powder varies somewhat from lot# to lot#. Smokless powder isn't as forgiving as BP or It's subs. One or two grains can make a BIG diffrence,in accuracy,performance,and saftey! Ron :)

Ron S said:
Buy a inexpensive,set of balance beam scales! Lee makes a set that are very inexpensive,and accurate! The dippers are OK,but I'd rather hand weigh each charge. That way you have eliminated one of the variables in your loading system. Also powder varies somewhat from lot# to lot#. Smokless powder isn't as forgiving as BP or It's subs. One or two grains can make a BIG diffrence,in accuracy,performance,and saftey! Ron :)

I agree with all this except the beam scales. Get beam scales ONLY if you can't afford digital, they are better than dippers. Digital scales will cut you work time at least in half. :yeah:

dwhunter,you are right!Can't beat the elec. scales,but they(for a good one) are a little pricey for some guys starting out. I've reloaded center fire for 30 years,and have both. Some times I think the Savage isn't a beginner level gun. Loading smokless is a whole diffrent story,than using BP. Ron :)

thanx to all who replied, i do have an old lyman m-5[my arrow scale] that i weighed the first load@44gr, i then transferred same to one of my clear b/p vials and marked the charge line[not able to find a dipper prior to range time]. results at the range were better than i had expected being as i havent had an opportunity to try my combo out prior to today. i have the plaaaastic stock/stainlessw/open sight model[yes that spelling of plastic is sarcastic], w/bushnell 3200 3x9. considering it wasnt bore sighted[guess who got lucky], my first shot @50 yd range was at 1:00 just out side the outermost ring on a 100yd small bore target, twelve shots later i had a figure 8 w/ a 1" flyerout of my last 3 shot group. this is a little better than the very best group i have ever gotten w/ my sidelock[a T/C tree hawk .50, 250 powerbelt, 80 gr pyrodex rs,open sights] , so i was satisfied. had to clear out because we were really crowded today at the range ,[bristol ,wi] definitely need more tuning,but feel direction is good. thanx agin' for the responses and any further suggestions are appreciated[oh, and that stocks a goin, picked up a bell and carlson at cabelas for around 90 bucks, seemed more reasonable than trying to bed this monster and dont mind the extra outlay as i picked the gun up last yearfor 350 new off of auction arms. one last item and ill shut up, mine isnt accutrigger, whats a good option?

I have an Accu-trigger, a Timney, a SSS competion, and a Rifle Basix. W/O question the SSS is better than the 2 other really good aftermarket triggers but costs > twice as much. I think the Timney and Rifle Basix are in a dead heat.

------------------------>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SSS

About $90 for the best trigger you can get on a Savage. I have one on my Custom .204 Ruger and they are excellent triggers.

I also have a riflebasix and feel there is a night and day difference between the 2..

Just my .02

JJ

Grouse said:
Better then an Accu-Trigger???? :huh?:

Absolutely.... I think R-man will back me up here.. he sampled a SSS trigger on my .204

yes, but not as easy as the accutrigger..

Savage used to buy triggers from Fred Moreo (SSS) before the Accutrigger came out..

oper2nyst said:
when throwing charges for smokeless we are talking by weight, is that correct? as opposed to volume for black powder

This may sound confusing, but both are "correct" ways.

Lee Dipper sets are designed for smokeless, they are volumetric measures. All of my MEC progressive shotshell presses are of course for smokeless, and they drop by volume determined by the MEC bushing you use. Any drum type powder measure drops by volume.

Smokeless, blackpowder, and Triple 7 all give the best accuracy using weighed charges.

5744 can give excellent accuracy using Lee 3.1 or 3.4 cc dippers, but no other powder I've tried does as well with them.

RandyWakeman said:
oper2nyst said:

This may sound confusing, but both are "correct" ways.

Lee Dipper sets are designed for smokeless, they are volumetric measures. All of my MEC progressive shotshell presses are of course for smokeless, and they drop by volume determined by the MEC bushing you use. Any drum type powder measure drops by volume.

Smokeless, blackpowder, and Triple 7 all give the best accuracy using weighed charges.

5744 can give excellent accuracy using Lee 3.1 or 3.4 cc dippers, but no other powder I've tried does as well with them.

Hi,

What are the advantages and disavantages of Lee Dipper sets with 5744 ?

..........................................................................Gerald............../

To me there is no advantage to dippers over scales. While it does take time to weigh out charges you accuracy will be much greater. ALL powders whether it's T7 or smokeless should be weighed. Some on this board that have used the dippers exclusive might give you some more insight on the dippers but I say scales is the only way to go.

Latest posts

Back