Smokeless question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biged6246

Reaction score
First of all, thanks everyone for their help. This site is great.

What is the difference between a muzzelloader and a smokeless gun? Is there a difference? Sounds like some guns can use smokeless powder and some can't? What is the difference in the powder?

There definitely IS a difference althought one might not notice from the appearance of the gun. The difference between a blackpowder type muzzleloader and a smokeless type muzzleloader is in the strength of the gun and in the design of the breech plug. As you probably know, smokeless powder is much more powerful in gun applications than black powder is by comparison of volume. So one must never ever attempt to use smokeless powder in a gun designed for black powder or black powder substitutes.

Difference in powders....ok i will attempt....generally speaking....

black powder contains sulfur, potassium nitrate and charcoal, is coarse looking, smokes like crazy when you shoot it, is impact sinsititive, i think it is classified as an explosive and i think it burns the same outside the gun barrel as it does inside. It is found in degrees of coarseness. Finer grained is more energetic than coarser grain but has only one burning rate.

Black powder substitutes....Pyrodex is a synthetic black powder substitute, coarse looking, contains sulfur and is similar looking to black powder. It is found also in degrees of coarseness. It is not impact sinsititive and is slightly harder to ignite. Triple Seven is also a synthetic black powder substitute but contains no sulfur and is of a different composition than pyrodex. Is more powerful by volume in a gun application by volume than BP or Pyrodex. I don't think these are classified as explosives and are propellants and are safer to have around than bp. They have only one burning rate.

Smokeless powders....contain nitrocellulose for its energy (single based). Only a few approved for muzzleloader use. May be found double based containing both nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin. Is found in more or less degrees of burning rates. Slower burning rates used for magnum rifles and faster in small calibers and pistols and shotguns. It is not impact sinsitive and classified as a propellant. It only does it's propellant wonders inside a closed cartridge and will only burn outside in the open. It is found in flake, ball, and cylindrical form.

I think thats about all I know...hope this helps.

Oh I forgot to say that black powder is very corrosive. Substitutes are less corrosive and smokeless powder is very much less or almost not at all corrosive.

Latest posts

Back