Smokin' Joe's Isaac Haines build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
I'm going to try to post progress on the build as I go.  At this point I'm getting a few tools together.  I have a 4mm & 6mm chisel and soon a Nicholson <a href='/tags/49' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #49'>#49</a> cabinet rasp.  If I run across a good vise I might pick it up also.  I'm going to start to inlet the breech & tang so I can get the barrel seated.

</a>

<a href="https://s1049.photobucket.com/user/trkytracks/media/IH%20-1_zpssc2isnvc.jpg.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

Damn, You are brave!

Just go really really slow and take your time inletting. Its easy to take to much and have a nice long peel start.

Good luck. Take it slow. It only takes the blink of an eye to do something you really didn't want to.
I don't currently have an Isaac Haines style rifle but I have owned two of them. One was sold to help pay for something else and the other was stolen. The stolen one really hurt because 1. It had one of the last three .32 barrels Getz ever made, and 2. It was built by Clay Smith when he was still in the blacksmith shop at Williamsburg. He later became the gunsmith at Williamsburg, and if I still had that rifle it would be worth a lot more than I paid for it just because his name was on the top flat.
But anyway.
That style of rifle is one of the best. It has almost universal fit, and the barrel length is perfect. The only rifle I ever liked more was what is usually referred to as an Edward Marshal rifle. Like the Smith gun, it walked out the house one night (still in the safe BTW) while I was WORKING for a living.

Sorry to hear about your rifle getting stolen Randy.  That's a treasure lost forever.

I agree with you about the Issac Haines model, I like the wide square buttstock and with the 38" .50 cal B wt. swamped barrel it should be light and balanced to carry on a hunt.

Update: started to inlet the breech plug and tang.
1. First filed the tang to create a slight bevel on 3 sides.

Second, I trace the tang with a pencil.  After I chisel out wood on the stock the tang sets lower into the stock.  I trace again and take out a little more wood.  Repeating the process until it is fitted.

Hey Joe
Thanks for taking the time to post progress while doing this it looks really interesting. If I was your neighbor Id be there in your way being a pest. Al

Well I started to Inlet the breech & tang and that's where I still am.  :cry:  I didn't realize that the barrel channel was too narrow near the squared portion of the stock. I couldn't figure out why the barrel would not seat all the way down. So now I'm sanding. This project will be awhile before I get done.  Gee, I thought I would be hunting "Griz" by now with it.  :D

Don't mean to be a pest...But it you can get a kerosene lamp and soot your barrel it will show high or tight spots, remove the black marks and it will slowly fit...Just trying to help...

YMHS
Hilljack

Smokin Joe - Thanks for taking the time to document this. As every one says"go slow". Don't be afraid to walk away and come back the next day. Keep your tools sharp too for the stock work. Pushing too hard on a dull cutting tool leads to regrets.

Can't wait to see your first range report!

Thanks for all the suggestions....keep them coming as I have a lot of steps to accomplish yet.

The barrel channel was too narrow in places which would not allow the barrel to seat down properly.  I put inletting black on the barrel to see where it was touching.  I then about removing the ink where ever the barrel touched with chisels and sanding blocks with 100 grit paper.   

f123aeb1-b937-4a23-a7ff-7440a23e5aaf_zpsrcdihxzj.jpg
https://s1049.photobucket.com/user/trkytracks/media/IH - 7A_zpswshln94a.jpg.html

Barrel is seated, a portion of the tang is above the stock yet.  I took a large adjustable wrench and slightly bent the tang to fit the stock profile.

Joe- Not sure what your level of experience is so you may be way ahead of Mike but he chronicled his whole build of a swivel breech flintlock here.

https://www.full30.com/channels/duelist

Just look for the swivel breech stuff. He makes a few mistakes but sees his way through to the end and it looks like he comes out with a good shooter. I appreciated the fact that when he made a mistake he manned up and showed it, and came up with a fix.
Any way if you get one good idea from watching it it's worth it.

Thanks, my level of experience is "Day one entry level", first muzzy build.  :D I'll watch the video because I am quite confused with the inletting of the lock, and next the trigger assembly.  I believe the stock was prepped for a single trigger but I have a double trigger to install.

Thanks again!

Back