Smokin' Joe's Isaac Haines build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Birchwood Casey Colonial Red and mixed with BC walnut.........cause I like dark wood.....but I also rubbed a bazillion  coats of linseed oil into the stock after staining. Mine was a labor of love, so I "lovingly" cuddled it in my lap while watching "Little House on the Prairie"...or "Magnum P.I.". Not many today want to make the effort, but the more I rubbed the more the figure in the wood stood out.....and the harder the surface get........someone will disagree (Chevy vs Ford) but that's what I did with Leman and my Northwest gun. When Lloyd Moler built my smooth rifle, he first applied a orange leather stain and then followed with a "walnut colored" leather stain.......not sure what he used for finish. Lloyd's been at it since the 60's........
032_1.jpg

WOW Doug! My rifle will never look that nice.  I like the patch box and the wire inlay too. 

I like the darker wood also.  That's the color I want my rifle.   I'll be very happy if I can achieve some close to that!

Latest posts

Back