Soft Touch rubberized stock finish

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brake cleaner is what I used on a Browning stock. Wire brush by hand helped, especially in the checkered areas.

Brake cleaner is what I used on a Browning stock. Wire brush by hand helped, especially in the checkered areas.
Checkered rubber seems fine on my gun I was going to leave it alone.Plan on doing it when it warms up I’ll try the brake cleaner

Acetone is what i used, stripped it down to a clean white stock and then wiped it clean with 91% rubbing alcohol. Didn't touch the rubber grips but did tape them up for protection.

Checkered rubber seems fine on my gun I was going to leave it alone.Plan on doing it when it warms up I’ll try the brake cleaner
On the Browning the checkering was fine but in order to have the stock set dipped it had to all be removed down to the primer under the film.

Sure. Let me check to see if I still have the paints I used and will post something on method.

Here are the actual paints I used on my Apex with my S.O.P
aSwgDO8.jpg

JCBNxCj.jpg

As0et8X.jpg

After I stripped-off all the original stock coating I gave it a base coat of premium (grey) primer. I used these three particular natural colors and applied then in very thin layers until I got the desired color. My goal was to get a weathered, dark walnut-like shade on the stock. Keep in mind the general approach to artwork is applying light colors over dark colors. I believe I started with a Black layer, then the Raw Umber then the Burnt Umber with a very light fine (400-600 grit) sanding between coats. Depending on how it looks after these 3 layers I would add additional layer(s) if needed to get the desired effect. You can also mix the colors in the last coat. Keep in mind that wood is not a solid color in nature. As you paint you want some of the previous layer to show through to give it depth and character. TIP: Since acrylics dry fast hand-brushed coats should be performed quickly to keep the layer consistent.

Finally to preserve the paint I applied 2 coats of the matte varnish. The matte vs. gloss finish will give you a more realistic wood look in the end as well as hide some subtle flaws or imperfection.

f0I31Fa.jpg

vOvn3zy.jpg

As with any paint job it’s wise to practice on painting something else before applying it to your stock. Good luck with your project.
.45er looks great.My Accura MR got sticky CVA sent me a new buttstock and forearm I want to remove the old finish and spray paint the old one.Any tips on getting the old finish off did you use any solvent to soften before you wire brushed.By hand or a wheel?
I wire brushed it off by hand, but it didn't come without a price. The brush will score the stock so you would need to do some sanding to smooth things out before painting. You might try another removal method first as suggested by others.

Back