Some Observations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over the past couple months I've been shooting some new muzzys and my CVA Accura V2 which I swapped out a scope. The newer ones were a new to me Rem 700ML and a new Knight Disc Extreme. And I had a Badger Ridge 209 ignition system installed on the Rem and the Disc Ext I put in a Lehigh 209 conversion.
Through past experience I knew that Alliant Black MZ, 80 gr and a 300 gr Hornady .430" XTP in a green Harvester CR sabot was the most accurate load (the .452" in a black CR is just as accurate) in the Accura V2. So switching scopes and sighting in was a snap.
But going to both the Rem and Knight was a different story. Try as I might, and I really did, I wanted BH209 to work in these rifles or at least in one of them. But alas it was not to be. After a couple frustrating outings with each one I went and tried the Black MZ. The results were real eye openers. Groups for both rifles shrunk considerably. The Knight showing the best improvement with groups going from about 2.5" down to just a tad over 1"! The Rem improved also and is accurate enough for my hunting but I'm sure can be tweaked a bit more next year.
Another observation I noticed is that for consistency I like to swab the bore after each shot so that all (except the first) shots are shot out of the same semi clean bore. In doing so at the range and using the proper solvents for BH209 and Black MZ I found that the Black MZ leaves considerably less fouling in the bore. Both are easily removed but the 209 requires more swabbing.
Now for all you fans out there I know that with equal charges BH209 will give you higher velocities and I won't argue that point. But IMO I prefer accuracy over velocity and in 3 out of 3 of my inlines, Black MZ wins hands down in the accuracy department.
So OK now you can beat me up if you like but my targets don't lie!!!!

What good is velocity or bullet performance if you don't have confidence in your load?accuracy is everything for me! Given the conditions of finding Black Horn I hope MZ black comes back and from what I read isn't there something similar to that formula made by pioneer ?maybe someone can educate me on it that shoots it I know I'm sure looking for some alternatives to blackhorn.

"Isn't Black MZ discontinued? Replaced by Blue MZ?"

Black MZ is gone. Not replaced by Blue MZ.

Been using Black MZ since it hit the market and i have a plentiful supply of the stuff. Last time i ran it over the chrono it got an SD for velocity of 17 fps with a 120 grain measured charge.

Black MZ was made by American Pioneer Powder. APP is back with a new pellet having a hole like Pyrodex. Their Jim Shockey's Gold powder is now available in 2F and 3F. APP makes a new powder sold under the Shooters World name by Graf and Sons and others.

Black Powder Substitutes & Pellets - Powders & Primers - Graf & Sons (grafs.com)

Last edited:
i believe there is one called black dot MZ by alliant powder. Sorry I was wrong

Last edited:
Yes Black MZ has been discontinued but like Okie I amassed a generous supply. I do believe that APP is making one very similar to Black MZ but putting their own label on it. I sure hope so. I also talked to Alliant and they were going to start making it again but scrapped the idea due to not enough interest.

I'd surely be interested to see how Blue MZ accuracy is out of a Knight. I bet it's just as clean as the Black MZ was - got to be better than Pyro. I've seen some web advertisements where "Dot" is used in the text but the pic's always of just the normal "Black MZ" can. Also noticed on a website with such as this labelling that the prices and availability for stuff is better than most (at this present time) and the payment methods are other than normal credit cards. Just my observation.

Of course with an FFL license number listed and a U.S. address, hey this might be the "getting place" I guess.

Yeah, that's it, SDS. Thanks for keying-in on that.

Just one last thing tonight, used to be that Pyrodex Pellets we're plainly marked with black powder? on one end of each pellet. I bought some PP's the other day and can't tell which end the BP is on. Does it matter anymore, and is the BP still used with the pellets?

"i believe there is one called black dot MZ by alliant powder."

Alliant says Black MZ is discontinued. Alliant Powder - Muzzleloader

Firearms World has Black Dot MZ:

Alliant Powder - Black Dot MZ 1lb - Firearms World Online Store (firearms-world.com)

You better beware of Firearms World, This is there address. They also have GOEX in Stock & Ready to ship:roll: They have Texted a Friend of mine Twice today Wanting to sell him some :)
zzMtfZe.jpg

I have found this type of behavior (and website in-stock claims (when you can't get your hands on stuff anywhere else) and combined with "untraceable" payment transactions ??? let's suppose) to be highly suspicious. There's not only one website with these characteristics. But I myself never hear of anyone getting ripped from such sites! An internet search, for say shotgun primers was my last noticing of 2 or 3 such websites. If not legit, why no complaints? It's a real head scratcher to me. But I guess I won't be willing to test one of them until I see some concrete positive feedback............from somewhere.

I did some investigating on Firearms world yesterday and found all i needed to AVOID them, and advise anyone else to do the same. The picture i posted above is the address listed on their website, as you can see it is a Home residence. I also called their number that had texted my friend yesterday, I made my Phone private, It rang and rang and finally went to a message Saying this “Text Now” Number

Firearms-world Reviews - 1.2 Stars

Online Reviews of firearms-world.com
  • Trustpilot
  • Avarage review: 0
  • Total reviews: 0
Not legitimate/Scam
This company is not legit and is a complete scam. He pulled his Google Business page after I left bad review. Items are never shipped and he will not respond. The shipper contact, Fastway Express Logistics, is part of it. They will send email asking for more money to continue shipment. The phone number is no longer valid. The emails are from overseas and not professional. They are just working to get more money off you.
Firearm world is a scam company
Firearm world is a scam company. The ffl license number they have is not even there’s. They stole it off a different company. My daughter feel for the jerks and they took 300.00 from her. Disconnected the phone as well as there live chat. Scam company
Firearms World should not be trusted
So I went to their website looking for reloading powder and found everything I could possibly desire in quantities and sizes from 1lb to 8lbs without amount restrictions. That was the big red-flag! No big box store with all the buying power in the country has unlimited quantities if they have anything available at all. What made me then search out reviews and fortunately I came to Trustpilot, was the payment by Zelle only. The email for the Zelle accnt was "brookbenjamin0-gmail.com" but the Zelle owner was "Torquez Silmon". Zelle warns you that you should trust to whom you are sending funds because there is no respite for recovery. When I asked Firearms World, in the same email string, which they to that point had been very quick to reply, why the Zelle account was not is a business format, suddenly I have heard nothing else from them. There website is very professional, their email confirmations of my account establishment and order receipt looks legit. But I am sure now they are phony and cannot be trusted. The business address listed on their website, 3641 SW Avalon Ln, Topeka, KS 66604 is a single story house in a residential neighborhood.

Back