Something new

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stomatador

Reaction score
Winter's dragging on and I've started thinking I need another muzzleloader. If you were going to build a muzzle loader with the goal of shooting targets at >500 yards but still be able to pack it in the mountains, what platform would you start with?

* I'd like to shoot my cast .400/273 gr bullets, (Accurate Molds 40-265S) but I'm always willing to try something new
* I'd like to use BH209
* I'd like to be able to get aftermarket barrels for it
* A muzzle velocity over 2100 fps would be a plus
* It will have a SWFA SS 6X on it

I'm not in a position to purchase an expensive custom rig but I'm willing to spend some and like the idea of being able to modify it as I go. I currently have 3 Triumph's and an Omega. My Bone Collector is awesome to pack in the mountains, the accuracy is pretty good and I get about 1950 fps with 120 gr (91 gr by weight) of BH209 shooting my 273 gr cast bullets, but hitting a milk jug past 400 yards is a 50/50 proposition. The Remington Ultimate comes to mind but it's heavy so I'd like to hear about other options. I see Thompson ProHunter frames are ~$390 and have a $75 rebate but I'm not sure what the options would be for barrels. Instead of a .50 cal barrel and .50/.40 sabots I might try a .45 cal barrel and .45/.40 sabots. I'd be looking for accuracy first and velocity second but I'm wishing for both. Am I looking for a unicorn?

Get Jeff{Bestill} to put a barrel on your omega.Or sell me Omega if it's a 45 {1 in 20 twist} and use the cash for a barrel.Just a thought lol

Get Jeff{Bestill} to put a barrel on your omega.Or sell me Omega if it's a 45 {1 in 20 twist} and use the cash for a barrel.Just a thought lol

Thanks for the offer, but I'm afraid the Omega's a .50 and I'm not very good at selling guns. However rebarreling it is an interesting idea.

What state regs?
Go fast twist 45 cal with sabotless smoothform adjustable sizing die and cup and core bullets.
Factory gun mountaineer 1-20 with couple mods.
Or yes rebarrel omega smokeless capable and 2500fps but bit more money.
Or do custom barrel encore.

Cva hunter or scout 45/70 conversion makes great economical sabotless shooter

I live in Utah; smokeless is out and .40 is the minimum caliber. Is there a significant accuracy difference going sabotless? I'll look into the mountaineer.

thanks.

stomatador said:
Winter's dragging on and I've started thinking I need another muzzleloader. If you were going to build a muzzle loader with the goal of shooting targets at >500 yards but still be able to pack it in the mountains, what platform would you start with?
There are plenty that can shoot to 500 accurately. Its more to due with your load than the rifle.
500... check your ballistics and Ron's bullet performance test (reduced charge to simulate longer range) on this site - even at 2200fps you're below 1000 ft-lbs at before 350 yards.

I just ran the numbers with a 300 grain Pittman Aeromax at 2100 fps . 2100 fps is pretty easily done with Blackhorn 209 . I used a BC of .370 they are advertised at .380 but with the lower velocities I shoot .370 seems to work out very close. I have had excellent accuracy out to 500 yards with this bullet at this velocity. At 500 yards it will still have a little over 1000 foot lbs of energy . BUT ! ! ! I'm afraid expansion will be minimal . High shoulder shots would be your safest bet . Its tuff to get a high performance bullet to do it all . ( in my opinion) Heavy lead is probably your safest bet when dealing with performance on game at long range with low velocities. Every thing has trade offs .

I used a Sterloc app . Hopefully it is correct . Like I previously said the numbers are close to mine out to 500 yards so I assume it must be pretty accurate.

Dougs136Schwartz said:
( in my opinion) Heavy lead is probably your safest bet when dealing with performance on game at long range with low velocities. Every thing has trade offs .
Exactly! Heavy lead you can depend on good performance at all ranges in my experience.

But..... you better be right on with your yardage and heavy lead. That's not that easily done on a deer at 300 plus yards with a range finder. Like I said before everything has a trade off.

Latest posts

Back