Somewhere, in America...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stan57

Reaction score
...hanging on a peg board, in a dark dusty corner of a quiet little gun shop, is an oem replacement breech plug that I can purchase for my Thompson Center Fire Storm flintlock rifle. One of these days one of you will see that part hanging there and remember this thread and think "there's a guy on a forum that I know that's looking for that! I'll message him!" I think that is the only hope I have of ever finding that breech plug. In the mean time, life goes on...

I might have to make one. Think 17-4 PH H900 CRES will be strong enough?

UPDATE: Will you believe I found 2!

I called Thompson Center and a real nice gentleman was able to put his hands on one at the factory, and is shipping it to me free gratis! Amazing; I'll believe it when I get my hands on it!

All of a sudden another one popped up on a web search for $18 at Darryl's Gun Shop in Newmanstown, PA! Order's in.

Now, I have neither in my hand yet, but I'm optimistic.

UPDATE: Will you believe I found 2!

I called Thompson Center and a real nice gentleman was able to put his hands on one at the factory, and is shipping it to me free gratis! Amazing; I'll believe it when I get my hands on it!

All of a sudden another one popped up on a web search for $18 at Darryl's Gun Shop in Newmanstown, PA! Order's in.

Now, I have neither in my hand yet, but I'm optimistic.

I thought Thompson Center was closed?

I don't know, but they answered the customer service number.

Smart of you to get the word out, You can't sell em unless you tell em. Words from a smart sales trainer.

Update: got both of them within a week! Search for years, then find 2 within a week of each other, then another available on ebay, LOL. Funny thing is there was one at TC all along, I just never thought to call them thinking they were dead.
IMG_700.jpg

P.S. I'm going to grind the cone off of one to experiment. It's hard to swipe between shots with that cone.

Last edited:
Update: got both of them within a week! Search for years, then find 2 within a week of each other, then another available on ebay, LOL. Funny thing is there was one at TC all along, I just never thought to call them thinking they were dead.
View attachment 30923

P.S. I'm going to grind the cone off of one to experiment. It's hard to swipe between shots with that cone.
Drill and tap your old one for a vent liner. You’ll never have to hunt down a breech plug again.
Its a tiny plug but I’ll bet it can be done.

Last edited:
My mistake. I guess i didnt realize its a touch hole liner. I thought it was a breech plug for an inline ML.
No prob. Yep, it's an odd rifle - a flintlock with a removable breech plug (see arrow), which inserts into the tang with a hex instead of a hook.

IMG_20230206_171544312.jpg

Back