First elk with muzzleloader!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob L.

Reaction score
This year I purchased a Knight Mountaineer Nitrate in 50 cal in anticipation of dads elk hunt. Special thanks to Sabotloader for all his help with questions and sharing.
I used a Shaver globe front sight with fine crosshairs and a Wiiliams FP legend rear peep.
load was a 460grain bull shop lead conical, 70 grains by volume of Old E 2f, rws 1075 cap, and 54 cal wool wad. This load produced 2 touching at 50 yards with those sights.
I zeroed the muzzy at 150 yards and it was ready to go.
First morning of hunting we spotted a herd about a mile away feeding in a clear cut ridge off a landing road. We hurried and drove over to where I thought the road started that lead to where they were feeding. We parked and walked in about a mile and as luck would have it the wind was in our favor. As we approached the end of the landing road dad spotted the herd below us. We belly crawled to a log laying on the ground and could see a spike broadside with 2 cows. Dad made a great shot at 102 yards right behind the shoulder and the spike made it about 80 yards from the shot. Sometimes it’s nice when everything comes together on the first morning. This was the first animal we have shot with a muzzy and it was exciting.

Attachments

• 1ABCCC39-F1E4-4C93-8A22-C26619DEBBB7.jpeg
    1ABCCC39-F1E4-4C93-8A22-C26619DEBBB7.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 741996A7-A591-44D8-AB8B-34F3DAE3D934.jpeg
    741996A7-A591-44D8-AB8B-34F3DAE3D934.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 62
This year I purchased a Knight Mountaineer Nitrate in 50 cal in anticipation of dads elk hunt. Special thanks to Sabotloader for all his help with questions and sharing.
I used a Shaver globe front sight with fine crosshairs and a Wiiliams FP legend rear peep.
load was a 460grain bull shop lead conical, 70 grains by volume of Old E 2f, rws 1075 cap, and 54 cal wool wad. This load produced 2 touching at 50 yards with those sights.
I zeroed the muzzy at 150 yards and it was ready to go.
First morning of hunting we spotted a herd about a mile away feeding in a clear cut ridge off a landing road. We hurried and drove over to where I thought the road started that lead to where they were feeding. We parked and walked in about a mile and as luck would have it the wind was in our favor. As we approached the end of the landing road dad spotted the herd below us. We belly crawled to a log laying on the ground and could see a spike broadside with 2 cows. Dad made a great shot at 102 yards right behind the shoulder and the spike made it about 80 yards from the shot. Sometimes it’s nice when everything comes together on the first morning. This was the first animal we have shot with a muzzy and it was exciting.
Love it when a plan comes together ,especially with family and hunting !/Ed

Nice story there and congrats on the great first muzzy kill!

I'm saving your sight setup to put on my rifle. Sure looks like it worked!
Nice elk you guys have there.

This is awesome. Congratulations on a fine animal and many amazing and delicious meals. And memories for years to come is always a treasure for me.

Great story Bob. Doesn’t get any better than hunting with your Dad. Enjoy the hard work you put into it.

Back