Spitfire Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteo

Reaction score
The sabots that are supplied with the Spitfires are yellow in color. What make are they? Is there an advantage to using hph12 or hph24 as to the yellows? The Spitfire is boat tailed would this make using the mmp impractical?
I will be using IMR4198 in my Savage and I believe that this powder is a better performer with a tight load. Has anyone shot the 285 or 245 with 4198 and what are your results along with your componets?
I have been shooting with 66.5 grains of imr4198, hph12, 300 xtp and a win209. Yes, there is noticeable recoil. I started with 64 grains and grouping has improved as I increased in 1/2 grain increments to 66.5. To tell the truth after twenty rounds, it was no longer fun. I came home and looked on ebay for a recoil reducer. The Browning Reactor and Sims SVL both have what I am looking for just a shoulder pad. Anybody use these or know about them? Thanks!

Benelli has 2 sizes of Hg recoil reducers. I bought 2 of the slimmer sizes($39.99) to put into the stock of my Sims padded NEF/SMI 50 cal. The really do work well. These 2 reducers + Sims pad will reduce felt recoil by well over 50%. They really work! Generally the faster the load to a point is more accurate. I have not had much luck with boattails in MLers. IMO they are only a sales item - no real advantage. The loss of a solid base/obturation greatly out-weighs any slight bt advantage of a MLer out to even 300+ yds. This isn't just an opinion: it is a strong conviction.

"The loss of a solid base/obturation greatly out-weighs any slight bt advantage of a MLer out to even 300+ yds. This isn't just an opinion: it is a strong conviction."

I may be uninformed but I am wondering if any jacketed or non-jacketed bullet experiences any obturation or set in a plastic encased sabot. I would think the sabot would fail before any bullet deformities took place. I know the sabots bases surely do expand but on visual inspections of interiors of my sabots I find no indications of bullet obturation. Have you read this in print somewhere or is this knowledge that has escaped me?
I will look into the mercury? filled recoil reducers. Are they pads that fit in a slip on butt piece? If not what is the design. Thanks

SW said:
Benelli has 2 sizes of Hg recoil reducers. I bought 2 of the slimmer sizes($39.99) to put into the stock of my Sims padded NEF/SMI 50 cal. The really do work well. These 2 reducers + Sims pad will reduce felt recoil by well over 50%. They really work! Generally the faster the load to a point is more accurate. I have not had much luck with boattails in MLers. IMO they are only a sales item - no real advantage. The loss of a solid base/obturation greatly out-weighs any slight bt advantage of a MLer out to even 300+ yds. This isn't just an opinion: it is a strong conviction.

Do you have a synthetic stock and did you install it yourself? If so.......is it simple to do or would it be better left to a gunsmith?....Doug

The obturation is something I have read from others but believe that a thin copper jacketed bullet can "squat" to a degree if only 0.001 or slightly more. I may very well be incorrect. Now to what I am correct about :D : the Benelli recoil reducers are cylinders that can fit into hollow stocks or holes drilled into stocks. I used to shoot at Friendship and have 2 of these in my Ozark Mtn Arms 50 cal Slant breech 1857 Gremler Hawkin. They also work well in the NEF/SMI. The recoil was reduced substantially. I think Daniel Boone used the same style recoil reducers also. :D

The easiest way to see the effects of bullet obturation is to measure the width of the sabot petals. You should see a difference from the front to the base. It isn't easy to measure and it might not be very much (like .010-.015 so the bullet may only increase diameter a few thousandths). There are some varibles such as temp, bullet construction (jacket thickness, lead hardness), sabot material and even powders (slower powders=slower pressure curve). It is like using plastigage to measure rod and main bearing clearance.

Back