sabot question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da new guy

Reaction score
I am asking this for my father who currently shoots an Omega with Barnes bullets and 777 pellets. He says that it is too hard to load the Barnes bullets that he is now using.

What he is telling me doesn't make much sense but it is what he is telling me so... He says that the Barnes Spitfire boattails with the yellow sabot load easier than the Tipped EZ flat base, but they still load much harder than he likes. That confuses me.

I have suggested some of the following...
1.Use a sabot solvent to clean out the barrel of any and all/most of the plastic
2. Try JB bore cleaning compound
3. Try a different sabot for the EZ flat base bullets like crushed rib or maybe even a HPH24 or EZ load( I don't know if there is a difference between the Barnes EZ and the MMP EZ?)
4. Try Blackhorn 209 as I think that the 777 makes it harder to load

What are your thoughts? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Your father might have one of them Omega rifles with a really tight bore. And that is what is making it hard for him to load. Get some JB Bore Paste and work that barrel over good. Really shine that up. A lot of time it makes sabot loading easier also.

I had similar problem and I fix it with yellow crush rib sabots.
There was a recall from Barnes 2 years ago for the Yellow boattail being too hard to load.
Moose1

Latest posts

Back