Spring Back in Loaded Bullets?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElDiablo

Supporting member
Reaction score
Shooting smooth-sized bullet-to-bore, has anyone had issues with spring back after the bullets have been loaded and in the bore for hours or days?

I’m thinking a tight bullet that springs back even a little in the bore could affect pressure? And add some fouling hardening on top of that. Maybe not enough to make a difference? Thoughts?

I’ve not tried what the OP has mentioned. But I have sized non-bonded XTP bullets and a couple days later they are impossible to load due to spring back. Even the bonded deep curls after a month or so need to be sized to load properly, although there’s very little resistance when passing through the die, the Fury bullets seem to stay sized.

I agree, the Fury remain sized properly.

Other bullets however do have spring back. I found that running them through the sizer 5 times, so that on the 5th time through they load at the force I'm looking for, they pretty much remain at that size.
I haven't shot since the June 1K match and likely won't be able to shoot until spring. I'll verify the 350gr XLD's that I have sized.

Copper will spring when sized down, which can lead to loose cores. Lead is a dead metal. No spring. So the jacket springs a little and the core doesn't.
Usually better to bump up. The copper jacket will want to spring, but the lead will prevent it.
I don't think cup and core bullets can be annealed without melting the core. If it can be done, it would minimize spring back.

When sizing bullets my system is to run them through the die four times, after rotating them a quarter turn or so.

Spring back is something one needn't worry about if one shoots Fury bullets, because they don't spring back.

Bonded bullets don't spring back much, nor do bonded bullets with thinner jackets.

Fury bullets don't spring back.

The same here I rotate at least three times sometimes four, as I run the bullet through the die

Latest posts

Back