Stainless - worth the cost?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrapin314

Reaction score
I was wanting to get some opinions on whether the stainless barrels are worth the additional cost. I am looking at a new rifle and as you all know - the cost difference is substantial.

Obviously, they are going to shoot the same.

Is the stainless a good idea because blackpowder and equivalents are more corrosive?

My old muzzies have not rusted in the past..??

Also, does anyone feel that the stainless barrel stands out in the woods? I mostly hunt eastern hardwoods (Ohio). Some of the barrels I have seen looks like they would really stick out.

Thanks in advance. I have been reading the forums and I have learned a great deal.

I like my stainless barrel. I have never thought that it scared deer, but I primarly hunt from a stand.

When given the option I'll get a stainless barrel/action almost every time. I like stainless because that's the composition of EVERYTHING. Blue is just a finish and is just on top. Scratch it and it's to bare metal.

Maybe during turkey hunting would SS be undesirable but for any big game animal I've never had any issues..

6X6 is absolutely correct......again. :D :D

I will add that as I have mentioned in other posts that the newer rifle coatings such as T/C "weather shield" by Doug Bouche makes a rifle impervious to the elements. These new coatings will have a right future in the gun industry The rifle market is still 65%blue and 35% stainless EXCEPT muzzleloading rifles is about 80% stainless and 20% blue.

Stainless 416R prices for gun manufaturing have increased just like gasoline. I predict you will start to see some manufacturers offering blue steel (Chrome moly) that has been coated at less cost than stainless. And the coatings are better than Stainless. The T/C Triumpth is the first to do this.

Chocdog

Due to the corrosive nature of BP and BP substitutes, I would like all my ML's to be stainless. I, unlike all of you fine folks, tend to get a little lazy sometimes. If SS gives me a little time or leeway for cleaning my gun, fine. We've all had times when something's come up and couldn't do it right away. This gives me a cushion before damage is done to my barrel

If you are worried about the glare of the stainless do like I did with my coyote rifle I choped up my old ghillie pants and had my wife mafe me a slip cover for it now you cant see it or me when i'm out shooting yotes

Thanks for the input, all!

I looked at a triumph with their weathershield barrel and liked the looks of it. I did not, however, like the fit of the triumph. The sights were great, but the stock felt awkward to me. I might get an encore pro when they come out with this type of barrel.

I am voting again for stainless. I just cleaned a "parkerized" gun and I found just a trace of rust on it. I never like that and with stainless it is far less of a concern although stainless certainly must be maintained/cleaned.
Stainless is rust resistent but it can rust under certain circumstances.

terrapin

I got the Pro for the exacxt same reason it did not feel right. I am tall w/ long arms. The Pro w/ Thumb hole fit perfect. Cost is way different but the feel and confidence is worthSafe!

Another vote for stainless. I have an old Knight MK85 in stainless. I always clean it when hunting in foul weather. Stainless will rust or pit if you dont take care of it. Unlike blue steel you can take scotch brite and buff out scratches, pits or rust. I only have 2 ML's right now, A blued hawken with no rust and my 20 year old Knight. I plan on getting a new TC and it will be stainless. Pay the extra money, you will be glad you did. Also I have never had a problem being picked up by an animal because of a stainless barrel. Most barrels are a matte stainless and not a high polished.
Good luck
Frank

terrapin314 said:
Thanks for the input, all!

I looked at a triumph with their weathershield barrel and liked the looks of it. I did not, however, like the fit of the triumph. The sights were great, but the stock felt awkward to me. I might get an encore pro when they come out with this type of barrel.

I am waiting to hear if T/C is going to offer a "Prohunter " in "Weathershield" If they don't so what...you can send your action and barrel to Doug Bouche and he can coat it for you while he is coating the several hundred T/C barrels, whats one more.

I would agree that the T/C Triumpth stock has a high comb on the stock but once its scoped it is just fine. IMO is had the best "cheek weld" for any of the T/C stocks except for the older U (horse shoe) stocks on the very early Encores.

Chocdog

Back