Start to a good season.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never really had any negative run ins with the CPW officers. I have been hunting and fishing for years with no issues. Unless someone does some stupid stuff, they really have no reason to mess with you. Most interactions that I have had have been verifying a license, etc. Which I am glad they are out there doing that. I pay for a license to hunt, so should everyone else who is hunting. Honestly, most of the negative encounters i have seen with wardens has been caused by the hunter/fisherman who has a chip off their shoulder or a piss poor attitude. Treat the wardens with respect, you will get the same.

I am sure that everyone has stories about game wardens and how they were a-holes. But that's not what this thread is about, it's about predator hunting. Somehow we spun off in a completely different direction.

Heres my nick name for some of these guys. Little Napoleon. I had one here in NY pull the license out of my hand as he thought he had me on a violation. I told him i was 100 percent. He said i better be. I was 20 plus years his senior been teaching hunter safety for ages. I kept my cool but was rewarded with the sheep looking grin when he realized i was right. He embarrassed himself. A real jack. He finally retired. That said we have some good ones around here now and are easy to work with.

I love calling for coyotes here in CT after the deer season is over. I have shot 6 yotes that i called in with my .36 caliber muzzle loaders. I use a distressed fawn call right after the deer season, as I think the coyotes are tuned into that sound from wooded deer, or orphaned fawns. Can't use a rifle larger than a.22 caliber rimfire here in CT on state land, that is why i use the .36 Muzzle loader. I can use a .32 or .36 caliber muzzle loader on state land providing I use patched round ball only. The coyotes are good sized here, so I use the .36. It puts them down pretty quick. I could use a .22 magnum, but I have seen coyotes run off after a good hit, and they are very hard to find when they get into the thick brush.

I haven't been on the forum in a while. But wanted to share some mysterious findings with the coyote in the picture. I smoked a 55gr vmax through both front shoulders at 150 yards! Not sure how that happened, but it did. I have pictures, but don't think they are suitable for the forum. I have never seen a vmax have that type of penetration.

I haven't been on the forum in a while. But wanted to share some mysterious findings with the coyote in the picture. I smoked a 55gr vmax through both front shoulders at 150 yards! Not sure how that happened, but it did. I have pictures, but don't think they are suitable for the forum. I have never seen a vmax have that type of penetration.
Go ahead and put the pics on. Certainly would like to see the penetration from that bullet. I don't believe we have any PETA members 💂‍♀️ :dancing chicken: here

The first photo is the entrance and the second is the exit.

IUv1O1h.jpg

jtf2ZJE.jpg

Kinda crazy for a vmax varmint bullet to smoke through both shoulders.

The first photo is the entrance and the second is the exit.

IUv1O1h.jpg

jtf2ZJE.jpg

Kinda crazy for a vmax varmint bullet to smoke through both shoulders.
Wow, I never expected that from a .17 cal!! My son, Jonathan, just bought a .17 cal and he seems to be real happy with it. Waiting to get his first fox with it. Thanks for posting.

This was a .223. Not a .17. I usually use the 17 in the hills and close range. We have long ranges here, so .223 fits the bill out on the plains.

Last edited:
Photos of harvested animals by members are welcome here.

Could be the range ( retained velocity) might have had something to do with the bullets' performance. I've had good luck with the same bullet in my old swift AI, no exits with main body hits. I'm shooting heavier bullets now with my 1 in 8 twist that are ( 64 gr and up) of the old cup and core design. Better to have a large hole than no coyote recovered. My lock stitch is the envy of surgeons everywhere! From your pics maybe the lack of fat that we normally have this time of year, evidently our doggies are better fed LOL

Mossie, do you still have the .220 Swift AI?
I once hemmed-n-hawed over the original Swift and the .22-250 for varmints. Ended-up getting the .22-250...mostly for better case life. Always wondered how the Swift AI would reload.

Mossie, do you still have the .220 Swift AI?
I once hemmed-n-hawed over the original Swift and the .22-250 for varmints. Ended-up getting the .22-250...mostly for better case life. Always wondered how the Swift AI would reload.
Marty I still have a #1 custom stocked, Canjar trigger in orig Swift. My tang safety 77 Ruger is 40 deg AI with minimum body taper for extraction. I make sure they are loaded all of the way to the rear of the mag well or sometimes I have a feed problem. Don't load them any hotter than the orig but seldom have to trim case necks. It's one in eight twist prefers the Cheapo Win 64 gr semi spire and 4350. 1/2" groups ,better than I hold in the field, Med sporter Douglas supreme 26", glassed, floated, and a 12X Leuplod duplex. This is with me every day in the 4runner running traps and calling.

I am planning on trying to get out this weekend to hunt bobs and yotes. Hopefully I will be able to put up some more pictures.

No movement for the past few weekends. I have called and have had no takers. The weather here has been hit or miss and the moon phase isn't helping the situation either. Looking to try to get out next weekend again before the holiday. Hunting yes......killing no. But at least I am getting out there! It's hard to hunt anything from the couch.

No movement for the past few weekends. I have called and have had no takers. The weather here has been hit or miss and the moon phase isn't helping the situation either. Looking to try to get out next weekend again before the holiday. Hunting yes......killing no. But at least I am getting out there! It's hard to hunt anything from the couch.
I never had much luck at all calling fox during a full moon. They seem to somehow pick-up your silhouette.

to a coyote or fox a full moon is like daylight, hard to get them to come in if they can see you..I found the best way to call is just call during daylight and climb a tree just like deer hunting..alot easier to get them to come in when up 15-20 ft in a tree. For you guys that havent tried one try a house cat distress, not kitten but house cat screaming on as loud a volume as you can get for a minute or two then be quiet for 5 minutes, they will come from a really long way for this and usually come in hard looking for kitty. Killed a bunch of them with it, works great if your up a tree can see them coming thru woods or across field from a long ways off.

Back