states ml only dates

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
just curious when the differant states have there ml only deer hunts.

Minnesota's is 11/29/08-12/14/08

First of all PAs license year is from 1 July to 30 June. Now what is up with that. I don't think the dates are set for 2008 year but last season the dates were Muzzleloader Antlerless season Oct 13 - 20 Any muzzleloader 44 cal or larger and sight system permitted but does only the permit for which you must apply for separately by Wildlife Management Unit.
We then have a flintlock only season which starts the day after christmas so this year it was Dec 26 - Jan 12. If you still have the antlered tag that came with your license that becomes an either sex tag statewide. If you have any doe tags they are still usable but only in the WMU issued for. The flintlock must be 44 cal or larger and only open or peep type sights are permitted.

license

I hunt PA and OHio ML. PA has done no favvors for inline people in the DOE ONLY inline season, I still have to haVE THAT DOE TAG ON A DRAW system. A ML license is extra and in addition to a regular tag.

Ohio iz a no Centerfire state so I can hunt the regular deer which starts the Monday after Thanksgiving. runs for one week and then tey added a 3 day weekend around the December 16-18.
They also have a draw hunt in October for doe and if you get licky doe/buck tag in certain state parks. Costs 3 dollars.

Muzzle season is in between christmas and New years, so Ohio offers a lot of Inline time.

This past year here in Iowa the early season was Oct 13 - 21 2007. The late season was Dec 17 2007 - Jan 10 2008.

Wisconsin's ML only season starts the Monday after Thanksgiving and runs for about 10 days. I am positive about the opener but not the closer. Cayuga, where are you?

Michigan is as follows:
Zone 1 Dec. 7 - 16, 2007
Zone 2 Dec. 14 - 23, 2007
Zone 3 Dec. 7 - 23, 2007
Buck and doe

S.C. is divided into six game zones, zone 1 thru 5 season's are set by D.N.R. zone 6 which is lower half of state season is set by G.A. i am lucky enough to live in zone 6 our deer season opens August 15th. and closes January 1 each year on private property. no limit on bucks and you can shoot anything you want. rifle, muzzleloader, pistol, bow, cross bow, throw spear's what ever you want

In Missouri the ML only season in 2007 was Nov 23 thru Dec 2 for the entire state. There were also 21 ML only managed hunts on county, city and urban parks that are opened for some special hunts that you can be drawn for but can only apply for 1 per year. This ground is normally not hunted and can have some huge deer and will allow multiple deer on the lone tag.

In Missouri you can also hunt with a ML during the Urban (anterless) hunt which was Oct 5-8, the regular gun season which was Nov 10-20 and a regular anterless season which was Dec 8-16.

I grew up in Missouri and currently live in Kansas but I still only hunt in Missouri as a non-resident. The Kansas ML season is Sept 15-28, which I think is too early and still way too hot. Kansas also doesn't allow scopes for ML only season.

Curtis

Gobble getter,
I was wondering on how many deer you see during your season? I am at darlington every year for the Nascar races, and there has been only once that I have actually seen a deer . I do know that it is fairly thick in some spots. But i have seen an occasional corn and been field while driving around.

i hunted 15 days this year and shot 3 bucks & 1 doe & a hog. i saw about 30 deer this season. last year i needed to fill up the freezer so i shot 10 deer & 5 hogs. i hunt a 3000 acre tract with 11 other guys alltogether we usualy shoot 60 - 70 deer a year from this property

VA. has first two weeks of November are early muzzleloading season statewide, the hunters choice days are different depending on East/West of BlueRidge Mountains.

Rifle season is last two weeks of November and you can also use a ML without a ML license if you wish.

Late ML season runs last two weeks of December and first week of January. The ML license is a seperate license from the Big Game License just as is the Archery license.

gobbler getter said:
i hunted 15 days this year and shot 3 bucks & 1 doe & a hog. i saw about 30 deer this season. last year i needed to fill up the freezer so i shot 10 deer & 5 hogs. i hunt a 3000 acre tract with 11 other guys alltogether we usualy shoot 60 - 70 deer a year from this property

Wow!! My wife wants to move to SC...I just might give in after reading this!!! :lol:

seasons

2007 wis season went from Monday after thanksgiving to the next week wednesday. You have to have tags left from regular season.

Wisconsin's ML season is going to be from Dec 1 to Dec 10 as of right now on the dnr website.

On a side note, it looks to be like the SAK report in all its glory is still showing high population numbers, as there is going to be a statewide antlerless hunt following ML from Dec 11 through Dec 14, along with some October herd control hunts....hmmm

Well, atleast I only have to wait until October to take the new ML into the woods!!!

ML's

When you all say muzzle loaders what type, PA HAS A DOE ONLY , a flintlock/traditonal season and of course if you chose you can shoot inline during centefire season.
A lot of the flinters cry and moan abut the inlines having a better chance blah bah . I know in Ohio you can bow w/ cross,recurves,compound etc. evryone get;s the program. Same as ML season, hunt w/ what you want....But that is an old fight...

toytruck- I didn't know spears were legal, now I have something new to try! The slingshot has to generate 350 ft/lbs at the pouch, though, and that is kinda light for deer :wink: .

I am not sure what states it is legal in, but i have seen video's of hunting with spears for both bear and boar.

vabowhntr said:
toytruck- I didn't know spears were legal, now I have something new to try! The slingshot has to generate 350 ft/lbs at the pouch, though, and that is kinda light for deer :wink: .

Don't quote me on that....you know I was kidding! :)

Weapons

Beleive it or not, PA was considering a spear or throwing weapon called an Atlal (sp??). This would have been for deer.

Latest posts

Back