states ml only dates

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here in the wonderful (joke) state of nj, we actually have a pretty decent muzzleloader season. muzzleloaderis by permit only and is over the counter in most areas. you can buy a buck tag valid for muzzleloader only. our muzzy season opens for 2 days only the week after thanksgiving but before regular shotgun season (no rifles). then it picks up again in mid december for 3 days state wide. in some areas it will then run until mid february. the season limits vary by zone. in the area i hunt i can shoot 1 buck a year and 2 does at a time meaning i can shoot 2 does in the morning, check them in at a check station (mandatory in nj) where they will isuue 2 more doe tags that i can use even that afternoon with no season limits on does.

the zones i hunt i nj i get 61 days with the muzzy
antlerless deer nov 28-30 and dec 3-8
anterless or antler deer nov26,27 dec 10,11 16-24 and 26-31
and jan 1 through feb 9
bag limits ,unlimited anterless deer ,two may be taken at a time ,yup you can come out with 4 deer a day each day
one buck must have atleast 3 points

Down here in Louisiana we have eight different zones state-wide, each with slightly different seasons. The zones are based on general habitat (pine woods, river bottomlands, salt/fresh water marsh, etc.) and different rut patterns in the various zones.

In the zone I hunt in (pine woods), the season goes like this:

Oct 1 to Nov 7 (38 days) - bow only
Nov 8 to Nov 14 (7 days) - muzzleloading or bow only
Nov 15 to Jan 18 (64 days) - any legal wepon (cartridge rifle/pistol, ML, or bow)
Jan 10 to Jan 25 (7 days) - muzzleloading or bow only
Jan 26 to Jan 31 (6days) - bow only

Season limit is six deer - three antlered and three anterless.

In Massachusetts, the shotgun season opens for the first two weeks on the monday after Thanksgiving. I note that because you can use muzzleloaders of any configuration during those two weeks. Many hunters who lost their firearms permits now hunt with muzzleloaders.

After that, the muzzleloading season runs from December 15th to the 31st. We can use any muzzleloader as long as it is not a break open like an Encore or Triumph.

Latest posts

Back