Stiff Recoil w/SR 4759

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davexx1

Reaction score
My SS/laminated 10ML-II has a very stiff recoil using the standard reccomended load of SR-4759, MMP Black sabots, 250 gr Hornady .452 HP/XTP bullets. After a few rounds at the range, I can feel it getting uncomfortable to shoot and my consistentcy/accuracy probably begins to suffer.

Does any of the other popular powders for this gun produce good consistent performance but with less felt recoil?

Thanks, Dave

Grouse said:
42grns of 4759 and a 250grn bullet is very soft shooting in my Savage. I hope your charges are weighed out right? :?
Mine too. 42 grains of 4759 with a 250 grain bullet is not unpleasant to shoot for me. Even 42 grains 4759 w/ a 300 grain bullet is fairly mild.

I do not find that loading uncomfortable to me. Each perceives recoil differently. A Lead Sled or equivalent could help on the bench, good ear protectors (what you do not hear can make you "feel" it less) and an aftermarket recoil pad can assist, a LimbSaver or other good design. Just suggestions.

Davexx1 -
I'd concur with the other three responses, but would add that Accurate Arms 5744 has the least felt recoil in my opinion.

Best regards -
Cob

You can back off to 34 grains of 4759 and see how the recoil is. Then work your way back up 1 grain at a time until you reach your limit. It is importent that you weigh your powder charge.

Get a past shoulder pad for when shooting from the bench. I use it with heavier loads and with shotgun slugs and it makes it much more tolerable. When hunting you don't need it, but for bench shooting it is a great idea to have one.

Does any of the other popular powders for this gun produce good consistent performance but with less felt recoil?

Yeah and I'd go with V-V N-110. I have shot powder charges as low as 34gr with both the Barns 225gr .451 XPB and 250gr SST. N-110 shoots great with 34gr and up. It would be easy to find your level of recoil tolerance.

You could also try lighter charges of SR-4759 although I've never gone lower than 42gr. You could also try the 225gr Barnes .451 XPB with your SR-4759..using a lighter weight bullets will recoil less.

I was at the range today for the first time with my MLII and found the same thing. I was loaded with 43 grn of SR 4759, Hornady 250grn XTP (except not the MMP sabot..I bought it used with a bunch of bullets, sabots, etc, and he told me they are Hornady black sabots) and after two hours and nine rounds, my shoulder was killing me.

I can shoot my 30-06 for twice as many shots in that same amount of time and not notice it (and there is no recoild pad on my Remmy 760, either), but I felt like I was shooting my heavy turkey loads after those nine.

I'm going to take it down to 42 and 42.5 for next time out. My accuracy wasn't the best, but not sure if it's my powder combo, or me.

Love the MLII, though. My buddy with a traditions was only able to fire as many shots as I was because he would periodically stop to spit patch, take out the breach plug and clean it, etc...

Paul.

I agree with the Past recoil pad for heavy loads. I sewed(had it done) a Past pad on a long sleeve heavy shirt for range use. I don't see that it is necessary for me when shooting 42 grains of 4756 with a 250gr Barnes MZ.

I do carefully weigh out each powder charge and I do wear ear protection at the range.

Yes, when hunting and shooting at a nice buck, recoil was not felt and was not an issue. At the range when sighting in the scope and shooting just to get the feel for the new gun and trigger, the recoil was sharp and uncomfortable after a few shots. I never thought I was recoil sensitive, but maybe so.

Next time out, I will experiment with a reduced load or lighter bullet and maybe pick up some different powder and try that also.

Just thought I would mention it here and call on your knowledge and experience.

Thanks, Dave

I did some searching around and found an article written by Randy Wakeman where he tested the SIMS Limbsaver recoil pads on an Encore and Savage ML II. The test results indicated a very significant reduction in felt recoil using the pad. I may try one as they are pre-fit and install quickly and easily.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/sims_limbsave ... l_pads.htm

Dave

The way I get around recoil with my 10ML-II is by wearing a strap on PAST recoil pad on my shoulder and I also had a grind to fit Limbsaver recoil pad installed on the rifle. The Limbsavers are something else. If you've never tried one, you owe it to yourself to get one. It will make bench shooting so much more enjoyable.

Savage Recoil

Dave,

Recoil is all relative to what you have been shootin in the past.
In Illinois, we can not shoot centerfire rifles, only shotguns & ML's.
I am a new Savage ML guy too, but this gun is a dream compared to a 12 Ga 3" slug. Talk about gettin rocked!!
Anyhow, I put a Kick-EEz recoil pad on my Savage and it helps a lot.
You can also use it in combo with a shoulder pad.
I've also shot some heavy loads: 120 gr VV120,45 gr 4759 etc.
After 20 plus shots at the range it does take its toll.

Mark

Re: Savage Recoil

maggie221 said:
Dave,

Recoil is all relative to what you have been shootin in the past.
In Illinois, we can not shoot centerfire rifles, only shotguns & ML's.
I am a new Savage ML guy too, but this gun is a dream compared to a 12 Ga 3" slug. Talk about gettin rocked!!
Anyhow, I put a Kick-EEz recoil pad on my Savage and it helps a lot.
You can also use it in combo with a shoulder pad.
I've also shot some heavy loads: 120 gr VV120,45 gr 4759 etc.
After 20 plus shots at the range it does take its toll.

Mark
120 grains ofVV 120 Are you sure on that one :shock: 60 grains is quite a kicker?
Redclub

Back