Stock Repair - How Difficult

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowdyjoe

Reaction score
How much does a defect like this affect the integrity of the stock/rifle and how difficult is it to repair?

cracke10.jpg

If the gun was mine I would try to glue it with a good epoxy and if feeling real daring try to pin through the crack from the top of the stock through the crack into the wood below the crack so nothing can move. The biggest issue is moisture, cold and hot weather could make that crack continue into the wrist, stop it before it grows.

do like the old days, wrap it with rawride and sew it together and let it set up hard.

FrontierGander said:
do like the old days, wrap it with rawride and sew it together and let it set up hard.
I would try to glue it with a good epoxy and if feeling real daring try to pin through the crack from the top of the stock through the crack into the wood below the crack so nothing can move. The biggest issue is moisture, cold and hot weather could make that crack continue into the wrist, stop it before it grows. 

Then you can wrap it with rawhide. I have done repairs like you mentioned when trekking for a week at a time and you better hope it didn't rain or your back to square one.

I've decided to pass on this one.  The seller wants more money for this broken rifle than a new one ....seriously. 

Are TC Hawkens so rare they bring higher prices than a new rifle?

no they are not rare unless its a 54 or 58cal hawken. The 58s are the rarest.

Latest posts

Back