Cracked laminate stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have no idea how to repair this stock. I'm going to check with Marlowe to see if he has a replacement stock. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20230806_120610709.jpg
    IMG_20230806_120610709.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230806_120606960.jpg
    IMG_20230806_120606960.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
I have a lam stock with several cracks in that area that I recently fixed. Very easy to fix - not so easy to make unnoticeable. I injected super glue into the crack with a syringe then clamped it. I’d try that first to see if it will hold. You can also drill a hole laterally through the area and insert a dowl or pin and epoxy it in, clamp till set then fill the holes.

I'm going to put some jb weld in the crack and clamp it. Thanks fer the help fellas.

BTW that rifle is a good shooter. Left target is Ed's.452 345gr Gould HPs and the right are his 390gr FPs.

Attachments

• IMG_20230805_171711522.jpg
    IMG_20230805_171711522.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
That's exactly what I would do. Actually before I'd do that I would remove some material then spread and epoxy the crack. Once the epoxy cures I would then add additional bedding material where you removed some wood and re-bed the action. That will give you more bonding security.

Ed, hope you don't mind me sharing this from our PM. I think it could be helpful to many who share our problem with cracked stocks. From Marlowe:

The best way to fix or prevent worse cracking with those grey laminate stocks is to take a Dremel tool with a little router or wood carbide burr and from the inside of the stock, route out some of the wood behind the recoil lug and around the trigger guard screw, being careful not to go through. Also remove the trigger guard screw. Then mix up some stock bedding compound with just a touch of black die, (just enough to make grey to match the stock), then force it down in the crack with a toothpick and also fill in the routed out areas. Then put in a vise, (use leather or cardboard against the jaws so as to not mar or damage the stock), and gently clamp and squeeze the stock overnight. If there is any hardened bedding compound that will prevent the barreled action from properly seating, carefully remove as required with your Dremel. Re-drill the trigger guard screw hole out undersized (about 2/3 of the screw diameter) before re-installing screw. If some bedding compound squeezes out the bottom of the stock, carefully sand smooth with 220 grit and the rub a couple of coats of Tru Oil to blend with the existing stock finish. This usually fixes and stops anymore cracking and does not show from the outside on those beautiful stocks.

I do quite a bit of laminating in my shop for architectural trim and some yacht interior work. This is not a crack it’s a dry layup and though this type problem can be stabilized there are some possible problems. (1) look very closely to see if this extends the full depth of the stock. If it does, and I’ll just say it may well later on, then there is not a legitimate fix. (2) problems of this type are due to a glue line void and often those laminars did not receive full wet out where the failure is. If the builder was using a glue roller machine and the glue reservoir hiccuped or ran out then it’s likely those thin laminars ran through dry at this location. it’s doubtful that it’s just dry where you see it since the stocked has been routed out for the action so deep revealing this problem is not just at the surface.

(3) routing or milling out the dry seams may work if this is where it stops but like I said above that looks unlikely. The other problem is Gun cleaning solvents and oils contaminating the wood. This can hopefully be cut back to clean wood but you have to be sure as epoxy will not bond to oily wood. (4) luckily the problem is not visible so whatever you elect to do it won’t show. (5) I really don’t like to see this failure bisecting the action screws and I don’t think it’s a coincidence especially at that depth.

if it were mine I’d look for a new stock and be prepared to hear that it’s not uncommon and won’t get any worse.

good luck
Rick

A lot of solid info has been shared. If it were me I would drill a hole in the crack at the leading edge to stop the split. Then I would use a dremel to hog out a couple horizontal spots across the crack. Fill those with epoxy and use a dowel in it to tie it together.
Then I would glass bed the whole action area. Including the area with the crack and recoil lug.

Latest posts

Back