Storing Muzzleloader between hunts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marksman72

Reaction score
In regards to condensation, should I just shoot off the round after the hunt or can I store the Muzzleloader in the garage for the next hunting day? By storing it, can I keep it loaded for the next trip? Some suggest not bringing it into anyplace warm after being subjected to cold weather.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

Out here in the dry West, I usually leave the load alone, and just pull the cap. Usually if camped in the general hunting area I don't like to just shoot.

Some locations have restrictions on what constitutes "loaded" though.

jim

in the humid south, i have hunted with the same charge for up to 3 days, bringing the rifle in and out of the house after each day (removing the primer) with 100% ignition when i discharge the rifle at the end of the hunt. back in the day i also left a rifle loaded for about 2 months, and then tried to discharge it and got a noticeable hang-fire. im still a little bit undecided on this issue, but my personal opinion is that, absent really wet conditions or fluctuating temperatures, you can leave the rifle loaded for a few days during a hunt. but if i want to be 100% sure, i discharge the rifle at the end of each day

I've always fired mine off at the end of each day. Probably unnecessary but it give me the peace of mind knowing I'll have ignition when the shot presents itself. Besides, firing that shot is practice. I'll shoot off hand and a target 100 yds away, usually a tree that looks like it needs to be put out of it's misery :) .

leaving it loaded

As I type this I have a pro hunter in my garage loaded cased but unprimed ready for Maryland's last day of gun season. The rifle has been loaded since last week. The cold weather is finally here and taking a warm rifle outside to hunt with will cause it to "sweat" and likely not dis-charge.

Have never had a problem leaving them in the cold.

Choc-dog

After cleaning my CVA Sunday night the powder came out of the breech in a big clump. I cleaned it well Thursday night due to the ice storm and reloaded it Friday. It was cold here in Il about 20 Degrees during the hunt. Stored it in the back of the truck (heated garage) Saturday. It was loaded with 95 gr Pyrodex and when I pulled the Breech plug found what I thought was a pellet. Must have sweated in the case I guess?

I found out the hard way..I now leave mine loaded ( with out primer ) in the case and left in the garage. A couple years ago I was borrowing a friends ML. and being new to this I new no better. The weather was bad everyday so I was taking it in the house to wipe down. Well to make this short a big 8pt walks out one night and yep...slow burn, and no buck. My buddy just laughed and said "been taking it in the house havent you" What a mess, the powder was just a big gob of goo..

Being new to ML I remove the breechplug every night and store the load and sabot in a plastic container to be used next time I'm off to the range.

I think we all owe it to ourselfs to have a fresh load each day of hunting, you never know when mr BIG will come along.

I've left my charge in my ML many times, but made sure that I never brought it into a warm area. Have done this with sidelocks and inlines over the years with no problem. The last season it sat for two weeks before I fired the round without any ill effect. I will admit that I've never tried it during a rainy stretch but I'm going to try it this spring "Just to see" so if something does go wrong it won't be during the hunting season. "Keep Yer Powder Dry!"

Well, thought I had this problem figured out. I loaded the Encore Dec. 18th and hunted that evening in dry weather. I brought the rifle in and put it in the safe uncapped until yesterday. Went hunting in very humid, after heavy rain and fog that didn't clear off until 10AM. I got a shot at a small doe and the shot wasn't a crisp report like a fresh load. I missed the doe, my fault, off hand shot, but not sure the bullet made it to her either. Lesson learned....again!

One year with load.

December Muzz. season this year my son borrowed my other sons' gun to his buddy. Gun was still loaded from last Muzz. season with 100 gr. Pyrodex RS. I suggested when they came up that they fire the round before the next days hunt and it went off in a flash. Surpised the heck out of me. No hang fire, but again this gun was brought in from the cold gradually.

Back