straight stock muzzleloaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I always seem to shoot the t/c black diamond very well what turned me off was all the parts of the plunger. I`m not familiar with knight plunger or bolt guns but are they a different design that the bolt comes out in one piece. I would like to hear from someone who has owned both and their differences. Thanks

I had an MK85 and i feel like it was more complicated than my black diamond plunger. But i sold it several years ago so i may not be remembering correctly. Im really glad i kept my BD. Its easier to assemble and disassemble than mys91, imo.

Had Black Diamonds and Knights. Definitely preferred the Black Diamonds. The Black Diamond was much easier to maintain as the striker is much easier to clean than the Knight.
To do a proper job on the Knight srriker, you must take off the screw on the end of the striker ( usually lock tited by the factory), remove the secondary safety and then you can take off the end cap to clean the spring and striker body. Assemble in reverse order.
The Black Diamonds are much simpler. Unscrew the end cap, remove the spring and handle retainer, pull the striker back, remove the charging handle and the bolt. I've had 2 Black Diamonds, and my Firehawk ( basically the same arrangement), never an issue with any of them. Never lost a part. I consider the Firehawk to be, my, perfect muzzleloader. Great handling, ACCURATE, durable, utterly reliable and easily maintained.
The Knight is a fine rifle too. Just takes a little extra work.

Had Black Diamonds and Knights. Definitely preferred the Black Diamonds. The Black Diamond was much easier to maintain as the striker is much easier to clean than the Knight.
To do a proper job on the Knight srriker, you must take off the screw on the end of the striker ( usually lock tited by the factory), remove the secondary safety and then you can take off the end cap to clean the spring and striker body. Assemble in reverse order.
The Black Diamonds are much simpler. Unscrew the end cap, remove the spring and handle retainer, pull the striker back, remove the charging handle and the bolt. I've had 2 Black Diamonds, and my Firehawk ( basically the same arrangement), never an issue with any of them. Never lost a part. I consider the Firehawk to be, my, perfect muzzleloader. Great handling, ACCURATE, durable, utterly reliable and easily maintained.
The Knight is a fine rifle too. Just takes a little extra work.
I agree 100%.

I really loved my Firehawk (notice my Avatar name), but wished that I had a Black Diamond. Faster twist barrel, removable breech plug and possibly other features I don't remember. When my buddy was looking, I encouraged him to get the BD and it was easily the better choice for ease and ability to shoot what was available. He still has his BD and it is still a fine shooter.

That said, when I bought my Knight Wolverine 209, I was blown away at how much easier it was to really clean it. Having a removable breech plug was huge in that regard. The Knight has a 1:28 twist which was easier to get to shoot, the 1:38 twist on my Firehawk was finicky. Still wish I had that old Firehawk, as it was a fine rifle that shot really well once I found the right loads, but the Knight is flat out a much better shooter. Still have the Knight 15 years later and it has accounted for several nice Muley bucks. And it is still as accurate today as it was so many years ago.

I really loved my Firehawk (notice my Avatar name), but wished that I had a Black Diamond. Faster twist barrel, removable breech plug and possibly other features I don't remember. When my buddy was looking, I encouraged him to get the BD and it was easily the better choice for ease and ability to shoot what was available. He still has his BD and it is still a fine shooter.

That said, when I bought my Knight Wolverine 209, I was blown away at how much easier it was to really clean it. Having a removable breech plug was huge in that regard. The Knight has a 1:28 twist which was easier to get to shoot, the 1:38 twist on my Firehawk was finicky. Still wish I had that old Firehawk, as it was a fine rifle that shot really well once I found the right loads, but the Knight is flat out a much better shooter. Still have the Knight 15 years later and it has accounted for several nice Muley bucks. And it is still as accurate today as it was so many years ago.
It aint much but its the first BD XR .50 ive seen in a while.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THOMPSON-C...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Theres not 5 minutes difference in either one taking them apart boils down to which gun you like better, I like them both but lean toweard the BD as far as feel goes when handing.. but as far as accuracy they are both very accurate with right sabot/bullet.Killed more deer with the BD probably but have had shot more Knights.

Latest posts

Back