Substitute for Breech Plug Grease

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have been using my tallow/beeswax blend bullet lube with teflon tape. i brush it on the threads, wrap the tape and brush once more over the tape. i might give a crisco/paraffin mix a try when i start to run low on current mix. i also find the old style toothbrush and some windex great for cleaning out the bp threads in the barrel.

Several years ago when I switched over to BH209 I stopped using grease and went to just some Montana Extreme oil on the threads. Never had any issues whatsoever.

You can use a variety of lubes. The main thing is to take the plug out on a routine basis.

After I clean my M-L I leave the breechplug out until the next shoot, no I haven't lost it or forgot it yet.

X2 on Montana extreme oil on it .
I ran out of Doc's grease he use to use but that worked good to. I should see about getting some more .
Steve

Go to auto supply store. Get tube of anti-seize. Use on breech plug threads. I shoot SML and use anti-seize AND ptfe (called Teflon) tape. Does not seem to matter if the anti-seize is the copper or nickel type. And the tubes are easy to use to get the stuff just where you want it. A leaking plug is probably worse than a stuck plug as it can "cut" your plug threads. Never had any problems once I went with the anti-seize and/or tape. W

black mz due to a sale at sportsman warehouse, $10/ibs + hazmat + ship. mostly i shoot pyrodex p as there is no black available locally and the price is friendly.

Many years ago I picked up a tube of Slick 50 One Grease. Its all I use. I just smear the stuff on and over the threads of the breech plug. And then screw it in. They always come back out. And that tube has lasted for so many years I can not even think of the year I purchased it. I would guess seven or more.

I got that grease in the Automotive department of Wal Mart.

What rifle and what kind of breech plug? All I have ever used on 3 CVAs and a Traditions with finger removable breech plugs is Lucas original gun oil and I have never had any problems at all.

I use the anti-seize and/or tape on White Bison + black powder, 3 different nose kit and plugged rem 700ML + BH209, 2 Savage ML2 with smokeless, custom barreled Omega with smokeless, factory barrel Omega with BH209. The Bison and factory Omega have original breech plugs all the others have Savage type plugs with vent liners.
Believe me that heavy loads of 4198 or BH209 in a 45 or 50 will test your plug and vent liner anti-seize. W

Latest posts

Back