Successful firearm opener in Central Illinois

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabinajiles

Reaction score
Our crew of 5 had a pretty good morning last Friday on our firearm whitetail season opener. 4 of us had killed by 8:00 am. I ended up taking a pretty weird cull buck. It weighed about 155-160 field dressed and had a very long thin snout and a weird, deformed rack. I was shooting my Bestill Brux/Omega and a Fury 275 gr FAT bullet. Shot him at 89 yd, coming right at me. He turned to look to his right and that's when I shot, hitting him just behind the left shoulder and the bullet passed clear through and broke the right hip. Dropped in his tracks, got his front legs under him, rolled and was done. I never found an exit so I told the processor to look for the bullet so maybe I'll recover it. A week from this Thursday starts our final firearm weekend and is also the first weekend of our muzzleloader season. I'll have an either sex muzzleloader tag then and will be looking for the big guy I have seen earlier that makes all those others look small.

Attachments

• 20181116_104859.jpg
    20181116_104859.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 283
  • my deer.jpg
    my deer.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 282
  • 20181116_105233.jpg
    20181116_105233.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 283
Man glad some one had some luck. opening day all on the neighbors last saturday nothing. Man knee surgery sucks eats up all your vacation for hunting. Have to break out the bow for this weekend at least I got 3 days to try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Congratulations on a fine looking buck! Here in PA in my party of 7 we saw NOTHING!! Even the amount of squirrels we saw were scarce???? Then to add insult in injury it poured. We finally gave up around 1PM.

Back