Swiss, Goex ,T7

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DESPERATE LEE

Reaction score
This is a quick question for people in the know. If i was shooting say 70 grns 3F Swiss and ran out, what would the equal be in 3F T7 or 3F Goex to get the same pressure curve. I figure there should be a formula or something. I dont have a chronograph or such to compare. Shooting a 385 grn Hornady Great Plains from a 50 cal Traditions inline with 1-32 twist barrel.
DL

This is a quick question for people in the know. If i was shooting say 70 grns 3F Swiss and ran out, what would the equal be in 3F T7 or 3F Goex to get the same pressure curve. I figure there should be a formula or something. I dont have a chronograph or such to compare. Shooting a 385 grn Hornady Great Plains from a 50 cal Traditions inline with 1-32 twist barrel.
DL

Swiss 3F and T7 3F are VERY similar. Triple 7 is a Very energetic Powder, if using 209 Shotgun primers it can leave a NASTY Crud Ring, But not so much with No. 11 Caps. If i couldn’t get Swiss Real Blackpowder, and was forced to use a Substitute, i would NO DOUBT Get Triple Seven 3F, I also advise Trying a Cotton Ball as an Over Powder Wad since that Hornady Bullet is a Hollow Base, A regular Flat OP Wad will push up inside the Hollow Base and do more Harm than Good, Triple Seven can be ROUGH on Bullet Bases

Since you don’t have a chronograph - just go shoot Goex or 777 and adjust your powder charge until your point of impact (zero) is the same as your Swiss load.
All other variables remaining the same.

Lewis i have both breech plugs for this rifle. I have 209 and also the #11 breech plug.
DL

BuckDoe
I like them. Also have some 410 grn Great Plains to try. This is all a work in progress. The rifle is really lite weight so those are going to be some good thumpers on BOTH ends. I have the 1-32 Traditions Timber Ridge and my 1-48 TC Hawken. Have had them forever and no plans to ever part with them, both are 50's. May get a 45 cal some day and it will be a really fast twist like a 1-30 or 1-20. But for now this is what i got, 1 inline and 1 sidelock.
DL

The pressure curves are quite different , velocity may be the same and it will still require sighting in again.
The different pressure curves will usually induce different vibration which usually changes the impact point at longer ranges.

Since you don’t have a chronograph - just go shoot Goex or 777 and adjust your powder charge until your point of impact (zero) is the same as your Swiss load.
All other variables remaining the same.

And 777 says to approximate your BP load you will need to shoot 15% less volume of 777. 70-15%=59.5

Latest posts

Back