Switching a scope from rifle to muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big R

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried using the same scope for your rifle and muzzleloader? My thought was that your not using both at the same time.
I currently have a custom 6.5 PRC built on a Defiance Ordinance action and a muzzleloader that I’m currently building that’s built off an Arrowhead action. The scope that’s on my 6.5 PRC is a Nightforce NXS 5.5~22x56. It’s a great scope and tracks perfect. A couple of months ago I purchased for the muzzleloader a Nightforce ATACR 4-16x50. Since it’s still new in the box I was thinking of selling it and just using that NXS for both guns.
Any thoughts?

Has anyone ever tried using the same scope for your rifle and muzzleloader? My thought was that your not using both at the same time.
I currently have a custom 6.5 PRC built on a Defiance Ordinance action and a muzzleloader that I’m currently building that’s built off an Arrowhead action. The scope that’s on my 6.5 PRC is a Nightforce NXS 5.5~22x56. It’s a great scope and tracks perfect. A couple of months ago I purchased for the muzzleloader a Nightforce ATACR 4-16x50. Since it’s still new in the box I was thinking of selling it and just using that NXS for both guns.
Any thoughts?
I do all the time being I own and buy way more muzzle loaders than scopes . Just don"t buy junk scopes , your Nightforce is an excellent choice ./Ed

Thoughts? :)

I'd keep them both unless finances required selling the ATACR. Your SML is going to have some pretty good recoil that both scopes will handle easily.
SOLID mounts and rings only IMO. I've seen way to many "busted" with heavy recoiling rifles. Just my 2¢ this morning..........

Another thing to consider.............. One of the builders made mention that the stock he uses has increased 20% in cost from suppliers. They told him he didn't want to know how much brass and copper has increased.
You'll never get that extra Nightforce cheaper than you already did. Throwing in another 2¢ ;)

The defiance comes with the rail machines into the receiver. The Arrowhead comes with an attached rail. Both the muzzleloader and the 6.5 PRC will have identical stocks from AG Composites. My thought was to keep the rings on the scope and attach it to the existing rail when changing. I could then adjust the turret and keep track of the difference between the two so it would only be minor adjustments to zero.
Yes I paid $2400 plus tax which made it $2550. I did buy it with the intent of being able to withstand the added recoil plus the excellent glass and reputation. I just figured that I could reallocate that money into something else if I could do a switch on the rifles.

As long as both rails are true picatinny spec there is a good chance they will swap with rings attached.

BUT it takes very little for one rail to be a thousandth different causing only one cross bar to seat correctly in the base cross slot. This will put extra strain on 1 ring if it does. Using rings like Contessa or TPS XRT rings with 2 cross bars per ring might help.

TPS XRT rings
p_100036960_1.jpg

Contessa Light Weights also sold with the Riton branding and available in a tactical 6 screw version but those are like $200 a set.
https://ritonoptics.com/product/riton-by-contessa-30mm-light-picatinny-rings/

As long as both rails are true picatinny spec there is a good chance they will swap with rings attached.

BUT it takes very little for one rail to be a thousandth different causing only one cross bar to seat correctly in the base cross slot. This will put extra strain on 1 ring if it does. Using rings like Contessa or TPS XRT rings with 2 cross bars per ring might help.

TPS XRT rings
p_100036960_1.jpg

Contessa Light Weights also sold with the Riton branding and available in a tactical 6 screw version but those are like $200 a set.
https://ritonoptics.com/product/riton-by-contessa-30mm-light-picatinny-rings/
That is my biggest fear that they don’t line up exactly. Is there a standard spec for the picatinny rails that is standard throughout the industry?

Milspec/NATO picatinny are standardized. Weaver spec is not as strict. They can be nearly anything depending on the manufacture.

Here is the twist though. While the milspec picatinny base is standardized there is a difference in how the rings contact the base. You want rings that conform to NATO-STANAG. Both the ones i listed do conform. You get more contact area with rings that attach this way.
https://www.slideshare.net/Optics-Trade/instructions-era-tac-picatinny-standard-optics-trade

Milspec/NATO picatinny are standardized. Weaver spec is not as strict. They can be nearly anything depending on the manufacture.

Here is the twist though. While the milspec picatinny base is standardized there is a difference in how the rings contact the base. You want rings that conform to NATO-STANAG. Both the ones i listed do conform. You get more contact area with rings that attach this way.
https://www.slideshare.net/Optics-Trade/instructions-era-tac-picatinny-standard-optics-trade
What I am using now for rings are the Nightforce rings. I would hope they would conform. Probably the best way is go ahead and pull the scope off the rifle and see if it’s a fit on top of the muzzleloader barreled action. Still a few weeks out on my stock.

Any thoughts?
Just make sure you have plenty of ammo and Muzzleloader supplies for readjusting and what happened here situations . Wouldn't be fun to run into problems and not being able to get back to zero on either. Just a thought

Just make sure you have plenty of ammo and Muzzleloader supplies for readjusting and what happened here situations . Wouldn't be fun to run into problems and not being able to get back to zero on either. Just a thought
Ha, these days it’s kind of hard to have plenty of ammo and supplies right?

Thanks to everyone’s input. It was very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, these days it’s kind of hard to have plenty of ammo and supplies right?
Exactly correct I stopped switching scopes from slug shotguns to turkey guns to muzzrloaders and rifles just before retiring it was expensive then and worse now good luck hunting and shooting and enjoy

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?
I've always has a scope for each rifle. Your thoughts & question aren't bad ideas, but don't complicate that swap by using anything other than QD rings on the scope. That way - no re-mounting issues with leveling,eye relief, sighting in. Just dial that scope in for each rifle you attach it to, keep your dope card for each or get a custom drop dial for each gun perhaps.

I actually would not use QR rings for this. I would use rings that attach with a screw/nut/allen so i could torque them down the same each time they are removed.
I am going to use the Nightforce rings and I have a torque wrench to get the same torque for each gun. Also will have the same stocks for rifle and muzzleloader so eye relief should be the same

Okay I pulled the scope with rings attached off my 6.5 and placed it on the muzzleloader action and it seems to line up. Now I am wondering if it touch’s firmly on one part of the picatinny firmly and not so much the other. Visually it looks seated but will it make a difference microscopically or not. This seems anal!

Okay I pulled the scope with rings attached off my 6.5 and placed it on the muzzleloader action and it seems to line up. Now I am wondering if it touch’s firmly on one part of the picatinny firmly and not so much the other. Visually it looks seated but will it make a difference microscopically or not. This seems anal!

I usually put the scope on the picatinny base and barely tighten the screws which hold the rings on the base.

I then push the scope forward to make sure it will not move under recoil.

I then tighten the screws with something like a FAT wrench to the specified torque.

You will know how well it is seated when you shoot a group.

If you have any doubts, you can loosen the screws on one of the rings where it clamps on the scope, and then retighten all the screws. This will ensure there is no twist in the setup.

Back